1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi A3 TDI 1.9 loss of power

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Grako, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Grako

Grako New Member

My car is playing up, sometimes run normal and sometimes run like in 3 cylinders, and when that happen the light of traction control comes 'on'. What I noticed that when the engine is hot I stop the car and turn on again and start to run
    normal again. I begin to think that perhaps would be injector, and start to mix an injector cleaner on diesel but and the same time, if would be injector I thought would be on loss of power all the time not just sometimes ???
    Maybe somebody have same idea what can possibly be?
    Thanks.

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line Audi S3

Limp mode perhaps? Car still drives, but feels like you have lost your turbo?

4. Grako

Grako New Member

I'm new to the car, but I think would show on dashboard if (limp mode) the only light that comes on when that happen is the (traction control) light and the loss of power it is like running on 3 cylinders, willy powerless.

5. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!
    Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line Audi S3

No, there are no warning lights for 'limp mode', the car just drives in a lower state of tune, so you can get home, hence the term 'limp mode'. You keep reffering to running on three cylinders, is the power delivery not even and idling lumpy? I think you need to get the car scanned by VAGCOM(diagnostics), since a light has come up on your dash, it may have logged a fault code.

6. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

I would be inclinded to say maf sensor as first port of call as problem is intermittent. But you need to get it on diagnostics (vagcom) before anything really.

7. MURRAYS444

MURRAYS444 Member

My friend had an a3 tdi 130 and was running slow it turned out it was the air mass meter!!!

8. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost!

I've had the MAF sensor go on my Passat TDI twice, the power doesn't drop off by much, it's more like the power holds back, you know the power is there, but the car won't deliver it. Limp mode though is when you loose the turbo power, feels like N/A diesel, a heavy drop in power over standard, but you can still rev to the redline, albeit very slowly.

9. Grako

Grako New Member

The car has been scanned by (vagcom) and came out a fault on injector N.3, but as the mechanic said that the computer is not 100% reliable, it can be something else so the last thing I want to do is to replace the injector. Because if really is the injector, why the problem comes and go away normally when the engine is hot and also make funny noises when the problem happen?