Audi A3 TDI £305 road tax?

Ironborn

English...not so good
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Bought a new car today, is this the new rate..? Or is there an error on there part?

Yep certain pre 2008 2.0 tdi a3 have a high road tax

Is it a new new car or a new car for you? What model/year is it? Take a look at a similar vehicle on Autotrader and click on the Tech Specs section - that will tell you.

Most of the dervs look to be £35 - £135 per year.

WTF? No diesel A3 is £305

Mine's £150, what's your emissions figure?

Thanks for the replies, yeah 305. Well 320 chose to pay monthly. It new to me 2005, 2.0 TDI DSG. 203 g/km

Something isn’t right there ah. Looking on Autotrader the most expensive I could find was an 05 diesel Quattro manual at 161g/km = £190.

Reactions: Ironborn
So you do think they got my emissions wrong? Are they any other A3 with 203 g/km? 2.0t or v6 How do I check what emission my car is rated at? I would call to say it's wrong, how do I prove that?

I don’t know to be honest. I’m sure DVLA would have it correct but when I search diesel A3 on Autotrader the CO2 option only goes up to 185 g/km. It just seems very high for a diesel. Do you have your ownership papers yet? The CO2 is also recorded inside.

Yeah on the V5C/2 and Online it's showing 203 g/km. Could it be an Import? Would Audi be able to confirm? Seached on google a 2.0 TDI T5 VW van has the same emission. So it possible...?

Omg I think I see the problem, checking the MOT history it's either been clocked or engine swap. In 2013 mileage was 146,981 miles and 2014 went down to 102,547 miles maybe a cluster change. The biggest problem the fuel type is coming up as Petrol on mot check....???!!!! Everywhere else it's saying Diesel car in V5C/2, Check Road tax online. Been given the emission of a petrol. I will call DVSA tomorrow and update. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Can you return the car? Looks like you've removed that lid from a can of worms.

Reactions: Dubjam
You may well have grounds to return the car.
Its not illegal to sell a "clocked" car if the mileage discrepancy is highlighted VERY clearly and properly before a buyer commits to buy.
If you bought it through motor trade and mileage discrepancy wasn't shown, return it. Despite being able to do MOT history checks yourself, SELLERS must notify potential buyers if the mileage is incorrect.
If you bought it private, get a screenshot of the advert that you saw and build a case.

I'd return it either way I think, it sounds like you probably have several issues with the details!

Cut and shut..wasn't from Bradford was it ? :laughing:

You have to ask yourself how did it pass the MOT? I would return it.
...DO IT!!!

This sounds like a nightmare.

Hope you get it sorted out

Get shot of it - legit and well looked after cars don't have dodgy paperwork.

Bought a new car today, is this the new rate..? Or is there an error on there part?

Go to a AUDI service centre and give them your vin number, they should be able to give ALL the details you require

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has I’ve have said, go to AUDI service centre with your id and get them to do a print out, then you will need to book an appointment with Dvla technical so they can confirm the car status - along with any other supportive documents

The car has a mileage discrepancy and also registered as both petrol/diesel in different places and high road tax because of that...

Did you not do any checks before buying it? I always check the mot history of any vehicle I’m interested in buying wether its £500 or £5000.. can’t be to careful these days.

I’d take the car back if you can or if it was a bargain then try get the road tax cost issue sorted.

It's a nightmare no real progress yet. I might just have to suck it up and pay the increased rate. It was very well priced, close by and I desperately need a car after my turbo went pop. So yeah failed to make checks. Private sell so I can't take it back, I really like it though, very smooth...it's my first auto. Previous owner was no help on millage discrepancy. He said he was also paying £25 a month for road tax.
Bristol Audi were no help at all. I asked them if they could look up CO2 info on there data base if I gave them my vin, but they said CO2 data is not held in there. The only way they can see CO2 info is by using a configurator but my car is fair too old for that. I sent an email to Audi UK waiting a response, might have to fire another one. Here is the response I got from DVSA and DVLA , without help from Audi I'm well and truly snooked.

DVSA

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email enquiry dated 6 October 2017, concerning incorrect details on MOT History.
Firstly, thank you for pointing out the error stated on our website. You’ll be please to know that this has now been updated on our records.
The change won’t take effect immediately, but will update in time ready for your next MOT.
In relation to the vehicles tax you will need to address your enquiry to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA).
Please follow link for email details: www.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla
Telephone: 0300 790 6801 for drivers queries.
0300 790 6802 for vehicle queries.

DVLA

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your enquiry received on 6/10/2017.
Your case reference number is 00315726.

Upon checking the record I can confirm DVLA hold the correct fuel type for the vehicle.

It may help if I explain that CO2 emission figures are provided by the manufacturer, at the time of first registration of a vehicle.

If you feel that a mistake has been made, and the CO2 emission figure on the V5C Registration Certificate is incorrect, then you should obtain evidence of this.

The evidence would take the form of a letter (on headed notepaper) from the manufacturer, including the following information:
  • the registration number and chassis number of the vehicle
  • a statement that they had previously provided DVLA with incorrect CO2 emission figures for this vehicle
  • a clear statement of the correct CO2 emission figure for the vehicle

The evidence, a (signed) letter of explanation, and the V5C (with the error highlighted) should be sent to:

Vehicle Customer Services
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA

Once your application is received, the matter will be considered and you will be contacted within 4 weeks.

Just out of curiosity, what co2 value has been recorded on past mot s. It may support your evidence

You can of course take it back if its a private seller, there will be legislation covering what has happened. If he/she denies a refund, take it to court.

I just cant believe someone has been paying high level of tax all these years for it and it wasnt noticed when first registered and taxed. Somethings far too fishy even if it does drive nice.

My mates dad had an issue like this with a insignia, I was talking to him today and he said an insignia he bought had high road tax and it was because it was first registered by the MOD when new and that for some reason there cars have different tax brackets or something along those lines