Audi A3 S-line 170. What to look out for?

ckman85

Reaction score
Hi guys, firstly let me introduce myself.

My names William, im 25 and live in Essex.

Im on a look out for an A3 S line 170 Sportback. Can i hav some advice into wot to look out for?

with my budget im gna b looking at cars around 60-80k miles.

Ive been told to look out for the water pump. N e other advice would b great :)

Thanks

Will

Welcome .iirc when i was looking at the 170 with a BKD engine i was told that certain years with milage like this the turbos can just go pop.i may be wrong? .But with those miles most will have had the main service done .so just make sure you inspect it closely

Last edited:
Hi, My first post on here been using vwaudi.

I have '06 170. Definately get one with FSH and reciepts of work done if possible.
Ask seller when belt was changed and if the water pump was done at the same time.
Great car when you get one youll be happy. Just be wary of the prices if something does go wrong,
Mine had a FSH not FASH, cam belt jumped (few teeth came away) engine is out of timing and all my valves are now bent. havent discovered the full extent of damage but looking very expensive.
I believe the cambelt hasnt been changed when it was supposed to (60,000miles - 3 Years FYI) or it was and the tensioner wasn't.
Check the oil levels and ask about how often they have needed to top up or changed the oil reason being that some turbos start to drink oil.
And although it seems silly now you may think down the line before its to late to go back to the seller - Radio codes, locking wheel nut, wheel nut plastic cover removal tool.

All the best and i hope you find the car your wanting,
Steve
:zen:lol