1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi A3 Mirror kicked off today (pic included) is it possible to do temp fix? & cost

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by dk1234, Dec 8, 2012.

1. dk1234

dk1234 Member

Hi guys,

I've just went to my car and had my O/S wing mirror kicked off, along with other cars on my road.

I wondering do I need to buy a whole mirror to replace it or is it possible just to buy the bit that is snapped. Also, can somebody tell me if it could be possible to do a temporary fix? or best thing I can do to prevent further damage?

oh yeah I have a 54 plate A3 8p

I was already stressed out for this weekend as I'm behind with my uni work and got a big assignment and another that needs to be handed in next week. But I can't leave my car like this.

How much is a replacement mirror? and how much would a garage charge to put it on?

2012-12-08 11.01.54.jpg 2012-12-08 11.01.28.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  2. Jameze

Jameze James

I feel you with the uni stress mate, I hope you get it sorted out. Disgusting behaviour from the idiot who did it!
  3. dk1234

dk1234 Member

yeah and you know I haven't parked on my road all week as I've been using public transport because I already had a warning light coming on and needed servicing, it was just last night I just finished another assignment I got my car from the next road and parked on mine after I bought a takeaway. Then this happens :( lol messed up.

I'm worried about the wiring being pulled down or when it starts raining. Should I buy one of those big car covers? but then again the mirror is still hanging
  4. Jameze

Jameze James

That's sods law mate.

I'd get it off the street if I were you and just bag the mirror to keep the rain out. If that's not an option though then might be worth taking the mirror off? This guide for replacing your wing mirrors might help with that...

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...2367-facelift-dumbo-mirrors-fitted-guide.html

I'm not sure if there's a way to do it without removing the door cards though as that's quite a bit of work. I'm sure someone here will be able to help though.
    dk1234 likes this.
  5. dk1234

dk1234 Member

I just phoned audi they said for all the bits £225 I'm unsure of the different names of the mirror parts. He metioned this would be for the whole wing mirror accept glass. mount, mechanism, caps (I assume thats the outter casing of the mirror,e.g same color as the car part?)

I said that I think I need the bit that attaches the mirror to the car only he said he thinks I might need the mechanism part £73.46 (if we were talking about the same thing)...(not in stock though but they could order and get it for around Tuesday) and if they were to fit the mechanism part, it would be £156 on top. So I can't afford to go to these guys.

Does it look like the mechanism part is all I need from the pics? I wish I never had uni as I aint got much time to try it myself....right now I should be doing my assignment that even if I was doing it now I wasn't confident that I would finish it on time.
  6. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Where abouts are you ? A helpful member local to you might lend you a hand fitting a new one,a temp fix could be gluing it but you risk the danger of knackering your door.
  7. dk1234

dk1234 Member

Can i put gaffer tape or some thing on it to secure the mirror to the car? or will that cause damage to the paint work? I don't think I got the time to get it sorted yet plus I'm going to have order a mirror from somewhere.

The only other roads I can park my car on, I won't be able to see it. But what I'm thinking is too gaffa tape the mirror againt the window/body of car. Go to Argos and buy one of those big car covers that cover the whole car (but, then that might get nicked). Leave the car covered for the week and a half, until I got my assignments handed in. By that time I should also have ordered a wing mirror and then I can attempt it myself or take it to a local garage.
  8. dk1234

dk1234 Member

I'm in North London, Tottenham. Do you think glue would be strong enough? I just don't want water to get into the wiring or some little kid pulling the loose mirror with the wire attached. I live next to a primary school.
  9. voorhees

I reckon looking at it closely now that you could remove the base and glue it back together.
  10. voorhees

11. dk1234

dk1234 Member

looking at the car covers on argos and they look like they have quite poor reviews. halfords want to charge a arm and a leg.

What do you think if I duck tape the mirror to the glass/car and then get a bin bag and duck tape it over that to attempt to stop it getting wet? Will duck tape cause any damage to paint work?
  12. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

alright mate,
    if your only in north london i could do the job for you, will be much cheaper than audi stealers!

the bit that has been broken is the mirror base which also comes with the wiring loom that you have going into the door. unfortunately you will need to take off the door card to replace it as the wiring needs to come out to free the mirror from the car. from the link given earlier from one of my threads you can see that its not a totally straight forward job, but not too hard either.

The base itself will cost around £70 but might be a little cheaper on my TPS account. the part number for the left side 3 door mirror base is 8P2 858 531 G 01C

PM me if your interested.