1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi A3 Manual, Possible Gear/Clutch Stick?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by revilo, Feb 28, 2013.

1. revilo

revilo Member

I am having trouble changing gear in my Manual 2005 2.0TDi A3 (6 speed).

When I try to put it into gear (hot or cold, but slightly worse when cold), it takes a fair amount of effort to get it in, quite often grinding. I have recently had the Master Cylinder, Clutch & Flywheel changed and the gearbox (gears and syncros) refurbed; this was due to the inability to select the first and reverse gear at times).

When I first got the car back it had a rubbing ('snickering') sound when the clutch warmed up, the tech who worked on it removed the backing plate on the clutch to fix this.

2 months the car ran fine; however, last week the gears got progressively worse. There is also a sound (like a 'knock') when I release the clutch with no gear selected. Also, there is a noticeable vibration in the clutch when in gears 1 - 4.

Any ideas team? ಠ_ಠ
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

when your sitting idle does the car vibrate? and if so does that change when you press the clutch down to the floor?
  3. revilo

revilo Member

Apart from the clutch pedal vibrating, nothing really vibrates more than I would expect..

I'ts been suggested that possibly the slave cylinder needs replacing, does that sound about right?
  4. Graham89

Graham89 Derv Perv

Sounds like a slave cylinder to me. Happened to mine and it's located within the bell housing so it's a gearbox off job. Ask the garage if they replaced the slave cylinder.