1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AUDI A3 ICE UPGRADE HELP

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by Bran, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Bran

Bran New Member

[Nov 18, 2006]
    Hi !

I have just purchased a 51 Reg A3 1.8T Sport (loving it) after selling my VW Polo 6n2.

Can anyone body point me in the right direction (link) to some instructions how to fit a aftermarket HU + sub + amp.

Is it possible to fit my sony headunit and connect it to the audi cd changer ?
    How the hell do you get the cover off the battery to fit the power cable for the amp ?
    Where can i feed the wiring needed for the amps/sub ?
    Would i need the buy Audi active wiring adaptor so my new HU could run the existing audi speaker and mini sub?

Many Thanks
    Chris
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. Wicked666

Wicked666 Active Member

[Nov 18, 2006]
    have a look at www.talkaudio.co.uk for all your info.

There are posts by DeanoVW and myself who have a3's but most people will be able to help. There is a grommet under the pollen filter to get 0 gauge cable into the car and i fed it down the side behind the rear quarter panel.

Battrey - i bought an optima yellow top and cut the cables going into the fuse box etc and fashioned my own.

Andymac on here knows all the technical details about ice into a3's.
  4. Bran

Bran New Member

[Nov 18, 2006]
    thanks for the info

how do u get access to the battery though ?
  5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Nov 18, 2006]
    Is it possible to fit my sony headunit and connect it to the audi cd changer ?
    No, sell the changer on ebay and buy a decent mp3 changer.
    How the hell do you get the cover off the battery to fit the power cable for the amp ? Depends what cover you have, all the ones I've seen are pretty obvious to remove.
    Where can i feed the wiring needed for the amps/sub ?
    Remove the door sill trims and there's quite a bit of space under there for power sdown one side and RCA's down the other.
    Would i need the buy Audi active wiring adaptor so my new HU could run the existing audi speaker and mini sub?
    Forget using any of the Audi wiring it's non standard and it's garbage.
    The HU will plug straight in though you will have to swap perm live and ignition on as Audi wire them back to front. You may find you have no ignition on feed on the loom so you'll need to wire it to the perm live and turn the HU on/off manually or run your own feed from the fusebox.
    You'll also need a fascia adapter to blank off the gaps left by the stock HU and an active antenna amp for the radio.
    The rear speakers are powered off the puny sub amp inside the sub. Rewire the rears directly to the HU or a proper amp. Don't try linking up the Sony to the Audi amp, it's also garbage and won't balance properly with the fronts running off the Sony.
    The front speaker loom uses a standard ISO speaker plug, but is only wired for front speakers. If you're gonna run the cabin speakers off the Sony HU & don't want to chop any wiring you'll need to buy a male and femal ISO speaker loom (£3.99 each from Maplins or similar). This will allow you to retain all the Audi wiring if you want to go back to stock.
  6. AndyMac

[Nov 18, 2006]
    You'll either have a solid plastic battery cover which just lifts off if you release the 2 side tabs. Or you'll have a velcro bag arrangement with a small plastic cover over the terminals. The cover just unclips and lifts up.
  7. Bran

Bran New Member

[Nov 18, 2006]
    thanks for the info guys, sounds like a job for a pro, which i aint.

is it just possible to disconnect the audi sub/amp and use the wiring for my own mono amp n sub ?
  8. AndyMac

[Nov 18, 2006]
    yes, but you still need to run power for the new amp. It's really not that difficult. PM me your email address and I'll send over the instructions for running power on the A3. The pin outs for the non Bose sub connector are:
    [​IMG]