Audi A3 Headlights not working

Brooksy

Reaction score
Website
www.rackmire.co.uk
I've just come across this problem which I can't find anything similar with a search on the forums except maybe a switch or a relay issue.

my headlights won't come on, I get no warning on the dis to say a bulb is out etc, and I get no indication light on the dash either, I've checked the other electrical components from, indications, brake lights, fogs, full beam, sidelights, reverse lights, horn, radio, air con, wipers, washer and blowers and they all work fine. I also get an indication light symbol for sidelights and full beam on the dash but I don't for dipped headlights. I've tried flicking the switch in different combinations ignition off and on again. Went back in after locking the car etc. no sign of life.

anyone had this problem and could steer me in the right direction. Bulbs must be fine otherwise i would get a bulb out warning light, seems weird as both dipped lights do not work. I haven't checked fuses yet as it has happened tonight, but surely other electrical issue might arise too? Or is there a dipped beam only fuse?

Also, so, im using 55w bulbs halogen, I don't have HID's or 100watt bulbs installed.

any help would be greatful

Yeah I'm thinking it could be this.... I've just popped the bonnet and checked the fuses on my lunch break the fuses are all in tact (fine). And the Relay box under the bonnet has only one inserted which is the ECU relay and if this was knackered I would have other problems surely like starting problems etc.

I'm going to get a VAG Com reader on it in a few hours and will try and take out the multi headlight switch and give it a qucik clean see if that helps.

Thanks - will let you know if I find anything.

Didn't have time to get the car hooked up today so will try on Friday. I've just got the multi headlight switch out and had a look. Nothing bad at all, no broken bits, connectors look all good too. See if Any shows up at the end of the week. This is bizarre. Full beams work when on flash or when pushed forward to stay permanently on so I don't think it's it do with the ignition switch.

Might have to get a meter on the connections if all else fails.

Reactions: westcoast a3
Do a search on here, I'm sure someone else had a similar issue.

id also say switch

I managed to get the car connected to Vag Com on Friday and no errors came up at all. Anyway, my friend bought up his Audi RS6 and we took out his Multi Headlight Switch component (different build) which had the same plug connectors as mine at the back so we thought we would try it.

Put the RS6 switch into my A3 and the headlights worked all as usual. Happy days, oddily enough whilst we were there we thought we would put the A3 switch into his RS6 when we did his headlights and everything worked using mine. So we switched them back over and my A3 Switch didn't work in my car, still had the usual fog lights and sidelights etc but no headlights coming on.

So it's even more puzzling why it works in his RS6 but not my A3. The only thing I can think of is maybe the connectors are disfigured somewhere and not making contact no more. (overheating)? anyway, I'm hoping to switch the headlight switch with another A3 at a local used car dealership for free, if not, it's a trip down to my local scrappy for a replacement.

Just so you're aware I phoned up Audi and they want £85.00 + VAT for a brand new component. (only 1 in the country too from what he said). Insane price.

I'll let you know how I get on... meanwhile, on 2 occasions I've had to use the car for evening use and had high beams on.. nobody has once moaned about me having full beams on. - lights must not be bright enough. :sly:

Thanks epox,

I've just got back from holiday and that part arrived from eBay, it works fine and my headlights are working, although I don't get a dipped beam symbol appear next to my dials though... At £18 it was worth a shot.
However as it's built for the A6 it doesn't fit into the dashboard fully and just sits outside unfortunately.

I'm not sure if there's a way to swap it or remove it from the surround. Does anyone know if this is possible without easily breaking? Tutorial?

I'll use this until I find time to goto the scrappy and get one or modify this new one to fit in.

Just a quick update to say I've solved the problem which might help others. The part I got from epox's post from Ebay I had a lightbulb moment and realised you can take the fascia surround off from the actual working component I managed to pull off the fascias and swap them over. So thanks epox for your part finding skills, I never of thought to widen my search criteria on ebay to include outside of UK.

Quick job of no less than 10-20mins with a small flatbladed screwdriver to pry off the fasicas and put back into the dash. Saved me a job of going to the scrappy or forking out £85 for a new part.

Just one quick question if anyone could tell me, I seem to remember there being a dipped lights symbol in the middle of my speed dials where the full beam symbol comes on. Currently only full beam symbol shows, am i correct there should be a dipped symbol when dipped lights come on?

Full beam = blue light
dipped = green light

ye did this a few days ago, nice easy fix, all the lights around the switch work and no scratches!

glad it worked

Mark