Audi A3 Glovebox Question.

turbodan

Reaction score
Website
www.daniel-wilkinson.com
Ive got a bit of a problem with my A3s glovebox.

Both arms have snapped off (1 of them remains in the actual unit) so now i have a big space where my glovebox door should be and it looks a *******!

Ive tried getting the broken arm out of the unit with pliers but with no success! the only way i can see of getting the arm out is if i actually dismantle the glovebox unit to get to the arm thats broken off.

Now the questions!

1) How easy is it to dismantle it?

2) Any diagrams of how to do this?

3) Would it interfere with the airbag above the glovebox?

Im going to get along to a scrapyard this weekend and hopefully get a new glovebox front with the arms intact so i can just put it in the place of where the old one went, but need to get this damn broken arm out first!

While im there im going to see if i can get an S3 Bumper & revision 2 foglights/front lower bumper part, as i believe they will bolt straight on to my revision 1 A3

turbodan said:
While im there im going to see if i can get an S3 Bumper & revision 2 foglights/front lower bumper part, as i believe they will bolt straight on to my revision 1 A3
no, the bumpers will most likely not fit straight onto an A3, wider arches etc.

This guy seems to have managed it on his revision 1 A3 on ebay

18_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-1-8T-...32QQihZ009QQcategoryZ9835QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And thought the fog lights/front bumper would have easily fitted on to a rev 1 A3 as vagparts sell the part for the rev 1 A3 http://www.vagparts.com/pages/A3lights.htm

hes managed it, but probably with a bit of hacking and slashing. then you'll have to get a new exhaust as the A3 one doesnt stick out like an S3, or the one in that pic. :)

the lower front bumper/fog light kit from vagparts will fit a pre-facelift A3 as thats what its designed for.

Ahh now im with ya mate!

Im a bit skint so rather than add skirts, bumpers, spoilers etc, im just gunna see if i can find a sprayers to colourcode the lower bumpers & side skirts on my A3

So can anyone help me with the glovebox question?

Just replace the whole glovebox if you can find one. Removal of the complete unit is dead easy. Much easier than trying to figure out how the door attaches.

there's bolts under the tray, below the glove box lid, and then you pull off the side panel, at the end of the dash (just as you do the driver's side to access the fuses). think there's also a bolt or 2 inside the glove box at the top. careful when the withdraw the unit as there's a lead for the glove box interior light.