Audi A3 from Wolverhampton

Habitual

Reaction score
Hi All, relatively new here.

I'm Tom from Wolverhampton and I am very new to the Audi scene. Always wanted a red VW Polo or Golf and was put off the idea since my 2011 VW Polo Fire.

Following that, I got a Renault Clio 197. A 2.0 NA car that weighs as much as a shoe. Great springs and brakes and was a beast on the track.

Cannock Chase by Tom Cash, on Flickr

More about the 197 here.

Then I recently decided I wanted an Audi... Absolutely no reflection on the quality performance the RS range has to offer and through and through, my 197 was one of best cars I've ever owned.

However, I just wanted a little more luxury and comfort in my life. So I got a 1.9 TDI Audi A3 with the B8 chassis.

Got it with full Audi SH, 25k on the clock - as if new. Also got two years free servicing, MOT cover, breakdown cover and some other crap.

The car is full of bells and whistles that make living with it amazing.... I got stuck on the motorway for 7 hours yesterday, following an accident on the A14 and the Audi was a very nice place to be. No discomfort or anything.

Even sitting there with the air con on, I averaged about 50MPG. My whole journey home was 65MPG. Bliss!

A £70 tank will take me ~700 miles and I love it.

I can see me being a VAG man for life now, I really can.

Anyway, enough blabber - here she is!

Audi A3 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Audi A3 by Tom Cash, on Flickr

I also debadged her on day of collection:

Audi A3 - Standard Rear by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Audi A3 - Debadged by Tom Cash, on Flickr

Future plans are:

• Coilovers
  • Black front grille and matching fog surrounds
  • Yellow fog tints
  • Xenons (maybe)
  • BBS CH wheels in 18/19″, depending on how low I want to go
  • Front splitter (maybe)
  • Black roof (maybe)
  • Privacy Glass (maybe)

Thanks for reading.

I'm also keeping a blog of my progress through this, if anyone is interested: Audi | Tom Cash :)

Tom.

Reactions: makem3
Nice work Tom. My cousin had the 197, awful car compared to the 172 that it replaced (which I owned). A3 looks like a good base, very clean,

In relation to your plans:

• Coilovers (Which ones)
  • Black front grille and matching fog surrounds (Go with S3 Black optics grille)
  • Yellow fog tints (Go for it)
  • Xenons - NHN is your man. You'll need headlight washer sytem, levelling and a new bumper with headlight washer cut outs.
  • BBS CH wheels in 18/19″, depending on how low I want to go (19"s will look better)
  • Front splitter - Don't bother
  • Black roof - Don't bother
  • Privacy Glass - Don't bother
:wub:

Cheers for the warm welcome man.

Yeah, I agree! The 197 is good but the 172 cup is a beast. I owned both also... The 172 is a weapon!

I don't know which coilies yet, I've not read around enough. I don't want the absoloute dogs because it's not like they're going to be used on a track or anything, but I don't want cheap.

Cheers for the grill info. :D Also, I want to go quite low - but I'll do the wheels after the drop.

Any particular reason for not recommending the front splitter?

Tom.

N8 doesn't feel the love for the 197, but I do after having one from 2007-2009 (and I've had all hot Clios from 16V through to V6). I went to a 2.0T quattro S-Line Sportback after my 197, which was nothing like as good in handling terms - but was an excellent quick family car.

014.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_2305.jpg

I've moved on to an S3 Sportback since, but would happily have any of the A3 range past or present. Being honest about things, any stylish car with a nice cabin and good spec will offset the loss of thrills when moving from performance car...because you can always use good seats, a nice stereo and the feelgood factor, whereas you can't always use performance.

The better question is, what's your budget for coilovers? Your entry level coilovers will be something like JOM for around £200, then top of the range will be £1300 for KWs. But if your spending that much, you can get air ride for not much more, which will give you lower drop and more practicality.

Yes don't do the front splitter, as it adds NOTHING to the front end of the car, and is just pointless IMO :laugh:

It'll be a good idea to get yourself to Audi's in the Park or Edition38 to get some ideas from other cars and the like :happy:

That was a shock when i opened this thread. The first pick with the Clio is not far from where i live :) great picy

N8 doesn't feel the love for the 197, but I do after having one from 2007-2009 (and I've had all hot Clios from 16V through to V6). I went to a 2.0T quattro S-Line Sportback after my 197, which was nothing like as good in handling terms - but was an excellent quick family car.

I've moved on to an S3 Sportback since, but would happily have any of the A3 range past or present. Being honest about things, any stylish car with a nice cabin and good spec will offset the loss of thrills when moving from performance car...because you can always use good seats, a nice stereo and the feelgood factor, whereas you can't always use performance.
Yeah, different animal all together, but your second paragraph sums it up perfectly. It's just such a nice place to be - the 197 gave me back ache and I didn't even have buckets. Same with the 172 cup...

Your sportback is lovely! I like those wheels.

The better question is, what's your budget for coilovers? Your entry level coilovers will be something like JOM for around £200, then top of the range will be £1300 for KWs. But if your spending that much, you can get air ride for not much more, which will give you lower drop and more practicality.

Yes don't do the front splitter, as it adds NOTHING to the front end of the car, and is just pointless IMO
laugh.gif

It'll be a good idea to get yourself to Audi's in the Park or Edition38 to get some ideas from other cars and the like
happy.gif
I am thinking around £5-700 would be what I am willing to spend TBH.

Edition38, you say? Not heard of it. AITP clashes with my holiday though, sadly... There's next year!

That was a shock when i opened this thread. The first pick with the Clio is not far from where i live :) great picy
Cheers man! :D

I am thinking around £5-700 would be what I am willing to spend TBH. Edition38, you say? Not heard of it. AITP clashes with my holiday though, sadly... There's next year!

I'd go with some Weitec Coilovers then for sure. Edition 38 it's one of the biggest VAG shows in europe, try and get yourself along.

Edition 38 is very possible! I will try get down for a day. :D

Cheers for the coilover info. Are they decent, those you've mentioned?

Yeah agree with n8 got them on mine ride is lovely its not bone breakin but stiff to threw it in to corners best coilovers iv owned tbh compared to Joms had on mk4 golf

A teaser-sized update... More of a write-up here > VW Helios Wheels | Tom Cash

I've been uber busy buying stuff!

• VW Helios wheels
  • Nankang NS20 (215/35/19) tyres (Cheers N8 - really happy with the stretch!! :) )
  • AP Racing Coilovers
  • Carbon Raised number plates
  • Stickers
  • Laminex

I still haven't got any of it fitted though, haha. It's been a long process since I bought this car in July, but I am getting there... I don't want the wheels on until I have the coilies fitted and vice-versa. Then, today, I had a set back with the wheels and now the entire set need a refurb' to ensure a match...

Anyway! Pictures.

VW Helios Wheel by Tom Cash, on Flickr

A Boot full of Awesome by Tom Cash, on Flickr

215/35/19 on 8.5J (VW Helios) by Tom Cash, on Flickr

As soon as I get centre caps from VW, I can get a refurb'.
As soon as I get a refurb', I can get the coilies on.
As soon as it's slammed, I can put my fitting stickers on.

Until then... I'll just have to carry on being patient.

Thanks for reading!

Shouldn't you have got the tyres fitted after refurbing the wheels?

The wheels were mint when I was getting the tyres fitted. They scratched one of the wheels though, and now I need the entire set re-doing.

I'm might be biased cause I have the same model as you but I think your original wheels are much nicer :)

I see you are after a black grille, you already have the black fog surrounds? I have an A3 & S3 Black Optics grille, new if interested. PM me for more info.

The wheels were mint when I was getting the tyres fitted. They scratched one of the wheels though, and now I need the entire set re-doing.

Ahhh my bad, where did you get the tyres fitted?