1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi A3 Argument needs to be settled.

SinTS Feb 2, 2005

1. SinTS

SinTS New Member

Hi Guys

I was wondering if someone here could help me out with something. We have been having a few arguments of late regarding the performance of the Older A3 1.8t.
    A frequent racer friend driving one of these has been taking out faster cars using a new spec "Facelifted" A3 1.8t. One of the cars taken out include the new Astra OPC with 147kw rating. The A3 driver insisted his car is stock except for a freeflow exhaust system. Including his boost which is set to 0.65 bar. People have accused him of having a bigger turbo , and from the performance I have seen for myself I dont blame them . He has offered the following explanation. Apparently the facelift version came out with a uprated turbo - Namely a k03 turbo in a k04 housing making it a hybrid. He claims this is a factory standard turbo on this model of car. Try as we might we have not been able to find supporting documentation to prove this . There are no articles on the net that give the specifics details of the turbos used in the older and facelift version. I was hoping you Audi guys would be able to help us settle this dispute , maybe even have some documentation to help prove it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

2. Markb

Markb Active Member

If it's a 1.8t it will be using the K03

3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Moderator

The earlier versions of the A3 used a K03.11, the later models used a K03.5x(.52, .51 .etc). THe later turbos use a K03 impeller but the turbine is different. Cars with a K03.5x usually push out closer to 170bhp than the 'standard' 150bhp with similar torque.
    0.65 bar is definately standard boost.

Rich