Audi A3 8L Speedometer and Fuel Gauge Fault. Video.

RaptorHunter

Reaction score
Please watch the video:

The fuel gauge is also faulty but it isn't noticeable in this video, but I get a constant beep reminder to refill the tank. Don't think it's a sensor fault, since I get the speed without any problems when using VAG-COM. Any suggestions to fix this? Replacing the Dash is currently out of budget.
I am also considering an addon Speedo and fuel reader, any suggestions, for something that would fit discretely, somewhere in the dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had some like that with my Opel back in 2011. But this was wheel hub bearing issue.

broken wire in the loom, will be between the speedo sensor in the box and under the battery, open the loom up and you will find it piece of p155

very common on A3s and mk4 golfs, have done a couple this month all ready dude

broken wire in the loom, will be between the speedo sensor in the box and under the battery, open the loom up and you will find it piece of p155

Please note that I am a noob so you have to give me a lot more help.
Is it DIY friendly to fix the wire? Can you post some pics of where I find the wire and how to repair this?

Since this is a common fault you should probably make a Thread of how to fix this and ask moderators to make it a sticky.

Well wiring fault/breaks can happen anywhere in the loom, it's never always in the same place, ok, locate the speedo sensor on the gearbox it will be a 3 wire plug, remove the plastic cover and open the loom so you can trace the 3 wires all the way back to under the battery, most of the time the break is inbetween the last fixed point of the loom on the engine and the first fixed point on the chassis, I would use a continuity tester to check the wiring

You will find a broken wire, is it DIY friendly, I really don't know as in my eyes it's a walk in the park job others may not understand it, so on that count I can't answer that question

sorry

I had a similar problem with my speedo / rev counter. In my case it was a dodgy earth, the coil pack loom earth which is bolted to the rocker cover between two of the end coil packs. My bolt disappeared and wire was loose.

Liam

gYfbMVv.jpg
jrSPny0.jpg
YS50DJ5.jpg
NaLX2gm.jpg
2K3ciYt.jpg

What cables I need to pay attention to?

A little update

I noticed that I the speedo always fails near the same place when I am going to work, even if I don't get faster than 80kph. The speed will get back to normal, if I stop the car for 1 hour.

They don't look like the wires from the speedo sensor. If you remove the air filter box you should be able so see everything you need to get access too. On the back of the box you need to find the speedo sensor (it should have a cloth protective cover over it and is held in with a single bolt). The connector unplugs at the sensor and has three wires, this then travels up and over towards the battery, you have to check this, a multimeter so you could check to continuity should make things easier (as Phil suggested)

They don't look like the wires from the speedo sensor. If you remove the air filter box you should be able so see everything you need to get access too. On the back of the box you need to find the speedo sensor (it should have a cloth protective cover over it and is held in with a single bolt). The connector unplugs at the sensor and has three wires, this then travels up and over towards the battery, you have to check this, a multimeter so you could check to continuity should make things easier (as Phil suggested)

I did remove the air filter, search for every wire that went into the gearbox, those are the only cables that go there. Will see what I can do about the multimeter. My gearbox is the 4 speed auto.

Not familiar with the four speed auto box, only the S3 box. If you check the manuals on line and see if you can find out where the speedo sensor for an auto box is located. I'd imagine it should be similar.