Audi A3 2001 1.6

Harry Stig Timms

Reaction score
Hello all just joined today

I have a 2001 audi a3 1.6 as i can only insure a 1.6 as im 18 . I was wondering whats the best option to get more bhp . chip/remap/exhaust

Also im going to the german car show on the 22nd at beaulieu is anyone else heading up ???

dont waste your money.
spend it on the looks and handling, then when you can insure a 1.8 or 1.8t, sell the car get one and transfer everything across.
dont think youll ever get the 1.6 quick.

If you can only insure a 1.6 then get a civic vti / ek9 / esi something light and fast

1.6 a3 equals less power than a push bike and about as much power to weight as jonny vegas on one!

Or if you like a3 then engine transplant! 1.8t 20v

lol ill get some pics up . its got some bad marks on paint i youst to be a valeter so it shines but it could do with a respray but do i really chuck the money at it :/

sorry dude i just new what was coming... welcome to the site, get some pics up!

where you from?

Mate id just run the car until you can afford something better, i had a 1.2 corsa as soon as i passed at 17, ran it for 18 months then bought my s3, ive never looked back since.

insurance is calculated through power isn't it? not engine size.
a civic vti would be more to insure then a 1.8T.

but yes, have plenty of dollor ready to waste on tuning haha

Yeh dani b19 thats what i told my self when i brough the car but its just to thirsty where its a heavy car with baby engine

insurance is calculated through power isn't it? not engine size.
a civic vti would be more to insure then a 1.8T.

but yes, have plenty of dollor ready to waste on tuning haha

I must of bin very very lucky then my first three cars were civic vti at 17 then at 18 bought the beast ( my ek9) 900kg 200 bhp!!!

Love it, I think to be honest insurance companys now just pluck a figure out the air , I'm 22 and my s3 is £670 and my focus st was £800 for year. Recently phoned about e46 m3 2004 my and they want £3200 lol

+1 on keeping it as is mate, i had a gti6 before my s3 and i threw thousands at it to gain a maximum of 20bhp if i was lucky!!!

with the money you will spend on mods and declaring it to insurance you could just buy a 1.8t and insure it, and that will be so much faster than a 1.6 will ever be!!

keep it as it is, get it mint!! wheels, lowered and then when your able to, get a bigger engined car :)

I must of bin very very lucky then my first three cars were civic vti at 17 then at 18 bought the beast ( my ek9) 900kg 200 bhp!!!

Love it, I think to be honest insurance companys now just pluck a figure out the air , I'm 22 and my s3 is £670 and my focus st was £800 for year. Recently phoned about e46 m3 2004 my and they want £3200 lol
whatt!!!!! im 23 and after taking the missus off (was paying 280£ a month) it went down to 140 a month, renewal is due next month had a little look around and is no less than 1600

yeh shes got rs8 wheels and lowerd tinted s3 mirrors ...also its got the recaro sport interior white suede climate control . so i do love it but i want it quicker :)

Yeah i can imagine its not the best on fuel, if you can afford to keep it and save then do it mate, if not then bin it off for a 1.0 saxo or sumet cheap to help you save.

Many factors though isn't there...... I haven't crashed for 4 years lol, low crime area, garaged, off road, immobalizer ect ect

I'm with a insurance broker in Nottingham the underwriter is Zurich though , I think £1600 seems high but like I said IMO they just pluck a figure out the air!

yeaa they do sometimes my last renewal from the same company on my gti6 went up a grand!!!!

i went bent at them and it then suddenly dropped by 400 of the previous year, when questioning them about it, they blamed a computer error haha

yea your postcode effects it alot
im in harlow haha

I'll add another vote for not bothering to try and get more power out of it. You won't manage any truly noticeable increase in power without spending silly money on the 1.6. Even if you spent a shed load and got it up to maybe 130bhp then you'd still have a car that's no faster than half the traffic on the road, it's just not worth it, even more so when there's more powerful versions of the same car available off the shelf. Not to mention the extra insurance cost when you declare the mods.

If you're getting poor fuel economy then just drive more gently, I'd have thought you should be able to manage 35mpg from a 1.6 in mixed driving or 40 on a run without trying too hard, which isn't tooo bad. That's about what my old 1.6 A4 did, and that was obviously a heavier car, so if you're getting much worse than that then you need to take the lead out of your shoe ;)

Personally I'd just chill out and trundle around feeling good that you've got a decent looking, well built car, and most people won't know or give a crap how much power it has unless you act like a tit and try racing them. Wait a year or 2 then when the insurance drops you can upgrade the whole car to something that's actually quick.

yea your postcode effects it alot im in harlow haha[/QUOTE said:
lol at this, when i lived in stortford my premium went up by hundreds because its cm23 lol