Audi A3 20.tfsi

betty_swollox

Reaction score
Alright

I currently drive a SEAT leon FR tdi and I am thinking about jumping ship and purchasing an A3 2.0 TFSI.

Anyone have anything good/bad to say about this car? I don't want another diesel and couldn't afford the insurance on an S3, so i am looking at other alternatives

Any suggestions etc would be welcome!!

Cheers

It's the next best thing to an S3 in the 8P range.
Quick out of the box, easily tune'able (if that's something you're interested in), and if you go for DSG too then it's even better.

The only downside is 220-300 miles per tank on average, depending on how you drive.

Cheers for the reply mate. I would probably go for the DSG but not too fussed if I ended up with a manual. I would more than likely get it a stage 1 remap on it and possibly consider a few other things. What sort of MPG do you get? I am currently getting 33mpg in my FR TDI, but I don't travel very far to work, so I really don't get any benefit from it!

btw the front grill on your car looks immense. looks like an rs3!

Do it mate and get one,S3 for me next unless in the mean time something else takes my fancy but i have the 2tfsi quattro and after 2 n a half years in the car i am still not bored of it and still enjoy giving it a bit of beans on the correct roads of course,mine is giac mapped stage one with induction and produced 248 on rollers which i am happy with for the money spent,have always thought of doing k04 conversion and more recently the k03 baby hammer/extreme map but for the £1k ish or more it would need throwing at it i think i will leave it.

I have a 2.0 tfsi quattro and honestly love it to bits. I have sent over £6000 in mods on mine and its an absolute animal. I would deffo recomend quattro over dsg, but thats personal preferance

the 2.0T is a great little engine and for most give more then enough grunt, but as said its well worth getting the DSG, makes your life a lot easier unless your one for finding winding roads and love giving the car a right damn thrashing, in which case a manual is always more fun
one word of warning they do like a drink of oil, so something youll have to keep an eye on
mpg really depends on what roads you drive on, although i drive and S3 on my stage 2 i still get 35mpg on the motorway and about 25mpg around town, a decent stage 1 map will improve your mpg over the stock map unless you gun it everywhere lol

Cheers for the advice :), are quattro versions the 4wd ones?? In a way i'd prefer a manual (i really enjoy giving it a good thrashing on country roads etc) and i don't really do much motorway driving, but the DSG is tempting as I end up getting stuck in traffic a lot on the way to work, so having to use the clutch constantly is so boring!

I've looked into getting other cars (mainly a leon cupra and civic type R) but i hate the build quality of the interior in leons, they look so cheap lol and I think the civic looks more like a space ship than a car. I find the dash way too big, doesn't feel like I have much room (i'm 6 ft 4 so need plenty of leg room haha).

One of the best things about the A3 2.0 tfsi is that it's only insurance group 15, whereas the cupra, type R etc are insruance group 17. I'm only 22 so I would get raped if I went for a cupra/type R/S3.

It's the next best thing to an S3 in the 8P range.
Quick out of the box, easily tune'able (if that's something you're interested in), and if you go for DSG too then it's even better.

The only downside is 220-300 miles per tank on average, depending on how you drive.

As Aythree says really... I have Quattro which makes it even more "S3" like... I get 300 miles to a tank with shortish journeys. DSG is good, we have it in our 2010 170TDi Sportback but both DSG and manual are as good as each other really. DSG is expensive if it goes wrong though...

yea the quattro is the 4WD and they make a massive diff when it snows lol
the DSGs are meant to be great and ive not driven one in a few years, but i still like 3 pedals and the ability to toe & heal when im really going for it, but it sucks in traffic, but youll find the oem clutch is very light so its not too bad round town

yea im not a fan of the other, and there is plenty of room in them, im 6ft 1 and my 6ft gf can sit behind me without any problems

haha know what you mean, im 28 and i get raped with my insurance lol

Do it mate and get one,S3 for me next unless in the mean time something else takes my fancy but i have the 2tfsi quattro and after 2 n a half years in the car i am still not bored of it and still enjoy giving it a bit of beans on the correct roads of course,mine is giac mapped stage one with induction and produced 248 on rollers which i am happy with for the money spent,have always thought of doing k04 conversion and more recently the k03 baby hammer/extreme map but for the £1k ish or more it would need throwing at it i think i will leave it.

Ive got the Baby KO3 map and its freakin Awesome! Figures below are with well below the requested fuel pressure at the red line, Stattler says once I replace the cam it'll make 300bhp easily. The low -mid range torque is amazing, and max power right at the red line :-D

PS on this map its a lot MORE economical, I went to St Andrews with my family on a sedate drive the other day got over 40mpg ( actual)!

haha know what you mean, im 28 and i get raped with my insurance lol

Your car is 360bhp though :p!!!

I think I will have to test drive both to see which one I prefer, to be perfectly honest I think I will go for a manual.

I think I am going to change car at the start of next year, I will be 23, will have been driving for 3 years and will have 1 years ncb (this current policy is the first in my own name, i've been scrounging on my parents policy on my previous cars :blush:)

By the way, do you think my car will have lost much of its value by then? It was valued at £11k by a dealership a month ago and it currently has 31,000 miles on it.

Cheers for the input, really appreciate it

Last edited:
haha i was still getting raped when it was stock... its not taken that much difference with the mods, about 20% more
ah yea with that little NCB insurance companies will make a killing off you on an S3 haha
tbf i have no idea about how much cars loose per year, but i would take a guess of around 10% would be a fair guess? a good way is have a look on autotrader and see what cars your age are going for and cars a year or so older, will give you a rough idea

If you absolutely must drive it economically on a long run, you can get 40mpg showing on the dashboard computer. My long term average (on a 2.0T quattro) was 28.4mpg, consisting mainly of city driving and long runs - i.e. no commuting.

Mine was re-mapped for most of the time I had it and it made it absolutely superb. It's a very refined and grunty package anyway, but adding a map and quattro makes it really special - a gentleman's GTi.

hahaha aye I looked for an S3 with me having a years ncb and i'm pretty sure it was like £1600 or something lol. Think I'll wait until I'm a little bit older:thumbsup:

well, I've looked on auto trader etc and I can see the same model for sale with 35,000 on the clock for £13,000, but I would be trading it in more than likely, so there is no way I would get anywhere near that!! I would consider selling it privately and using that money to pay off the remaining finance. i think I would get slightly more if I sold it privately (compared to trading it in) so I'll just have to see what options I've got

If you absolutely must drive it economically on a long run, you can get 40mpg showing on the dashboard computer. My long term average (on a 2.0T quattro) was 28.4mpg, consisting mainly of city driving and long runs - i.e. no commuting.

Mine was re-mapped for most of the time I had it and it made it absolutely superb. It's a very refined and grunty package anyway, but adding a map and quattro makes it really special - a gentleman's GTi.

yeah I do prefer them to GTi's to be honest, a bit more classy...and less to insure! I currently get 33mpg so I can live with 28mpg :)

Ive got a dsg 2.0T FWD variant and get 37-40mpg on my 30mile motorway commute, so the economy is pretty reasonable if you go easy, normally see 400 miles to the tank. Doesn't drink any oil either, not had to top it up between services.

400 miles to a tank is pretty good for a 2.0L petrol like! I presume that's £70ish to fill up, yeah? Has anyone gone from owning a PD170/PD140 to a 2.0 TFSI???

400 miles is a definite no no in my 2.0T.
I've driven around town etc for an entire tank keeping the revs below 2.5k and I only managed 370 miles. I don't think that turbo kicked in a single time.
I guess if I did a straight 400 mile motorway journey at about 50mph then I might get 400 miles out of a tank. But other than that.... it just ain't happening.

I do a 30 mile each way commute up an down the M1 and see 400 miles regularly, did 440 miles a few months back but that was mostly a long run.

If i spend time pottering around town this obviously drops.

I have an S3 8P manual and over the last 2.5k miles (since I have owned it) I have averaged ~29mpg. That is over 350 miles to a tank. Your MPG is terrible. Is the DSG much thirstier than the manual?

I have an S3 8P manual and over the last 2.5k miles (since I have owned it) I have averaged ~29mpg. That is over 350 miles to a tank. Your MPG is terrible. Is the DSG much thirstier than the manual?

Are you just going by the average mpg in DIS? Or are you actually seeing that many miles per tank.

220 miles per tank is when I'm racing around. 270 miles (plus there's probably 10-20 miles left in the tank) is driving "normally"... i.e. a bit of beans, a bit of cruising, a bit of stop start traffic.

The DIS. Why - is it not very accurate?

I don't think so, I find it's a bit over what i'm really getting.
You're better just zero'ing your trip counter when you fill up and seeing how many miles you've done when you've almost ran out of fuel.

I don't think so, I find it's a bit over what i'm really getting.
You're better just zero'ing your trip counter when you fill up and seeing how many miles you've done when you've almost ran out of fuel.

Aye that's what I do mate, i've tried working it out properly because some people claim that the trip computer isn't accurate, but I can never be bothered haha

I can live with less mpg to be honest.

By the way, does a stage 1 remap on the 2.0t decrease the 0-60 time by much?

I'm going by the actual miles I get and I usually fill up with a few miles to go on the trip computer. Dsg can't that thirsty because mines a dsg I do pretty well. Now summer is here I regularly see 40mpg. Just got to work now and the trip read 41.9 over 30 miles motorway cruise 65-70.

Ive got the Baby KO3 map and its freakin Awesome! Figures below are with well below the requested fuel pressure at the red line, Stattler says once I replace the cam it'll make 300bhp easily. The low -mid range torque is amazing, and max power right at the red line :-D

PS on this map its a lot MORE economical, I went to St Andrews with my family on a sedate drive the other day got over 40mpg ( actual)!

Yeah Steve was telling me about your car when he had it down there mate as i recognised the car from here,he said it went well thats why he started putting ideas in my head but i think its a sit n save for an S3 situation now bud,still wouldnt have minded a go in it when he took it out just to see if it did sway me but like i know you have a decent exhaust already where that is something else i would have to get and money is tight at the min and so am i :sm4:

Yeah Steve was telling me about your car when he had it down there mate as i recognised the car from here,he said it went well thats why he started putting ideas in my head but i think its a sit n save for an S3 situation now bud,still wouldnt have minded a go in it when he took it out just to see if it did sway me but like i know you have a decent exhaust already where that is something else i would have to get and money is tight at the min and so am i :sm4:
He charged me a very very fair price for the all the fault diagnosing, repairing fuel leak, rolling road runs and custom software from USA.
I already had all the hardware on my car so it was no brainer for me. As your lacking the TBE fuel pump and clutch etc I'd jsut save for an S3 ,Stage 2+ blows your socks off!