Audi A3 20.TDI 170 sport 2007 Failed MOT, they say scrap it!

Big Duke

Reaction score
Hi guys,need your help again fellas...
My Audi A3 2.0 170tdi I have had for 7 years,always passed the MOT.. I had a recon charger fitted about 2 months ago,and this has finally cured the limp mode issue the car has had.. Now soon after the Turbo was fitted the EM light came on permanently. Its an 02 sensor... Because the car is behaveing well, plenty of power I thought i would get it MOTed then get it sorted.. The car has failed the MOT on emissions. After its warmed up and when stationary it starts to kick out light grey see through smoke.. He recons its unburnt fuel.. he says it need injectors and maybe an engine rebuild... I disagree,as it starts fine.runs smoothe, doesnt lose oil or water,but I cant deny that it is smoking... Fine on start up, fine after a blast..just when its idleing when warm.. Could it be the 02 sensors? Ive spent a lot on this car.. New cam belt/waterpump, brakes and Turbo.. Last chance saloon for the car as im not spending anymore except the sensors... The current MOT covers it til the 29th. Gutted!

Well,what happened is..because I had the cam belt and water pump replaced at Audi about 6 months ago.. They gave me free MOts for the rest of the life of the car..As I say last year at Audi it passed. This year they said it failed on the emissions as I said,a fuel leak and a few other things.. Audi said they want 300 quid before they even look at it to diagnose it!,so I fixed the things I could wacked in some additive and went to a local independent garage.. Thats where Im at.

Go to someone with VAGCOM and some common sense please. Guys that tune cars will find the fault by looking at the EGT readings.

Failed oxygen sensors will obviously cause issues of engine smoke behaviour

Ok thanks, luckily I have enough common sense to know that if the engine was knackered blue smoke would be seen on start up...Im sure its worth getting them replaced as a starting point... Injectors as they say it could be would surely mean the engine would run rough and be hard to start?

Reactions: aqibi2000
The PD170 has an injector recall by Audi which was conducted a few years ago on most cars and can still be done for free

The EGTs on my 170 cost circa £100 each for OEM

Change the O2 sensors first! They are an integral part of the emissions system and give feedback to the ECU to keep at 1 lambda or there abouts. Without it working the car will add and remove fuel willy nilly without knowing if its right or wrong.

Fix the known emissions fault first, get it tested, then go from there. Always use the KISS principal....Keep It Simple Stupid ;)

either way, don't accept anyone saying "scrap it" if it's not dead yet!

As above sort the O2 sensor and go from there. Without the Lambda providing feed back the ECU is just guessing with the fuelling.