Audi A3 2.0 Fsi sport won't start when war or hot

Paul mitchell

Reaction score
hi was wondering if anybody could help me with my Audi A3 for which I've had nothing but problems with, the Latest thing is now once the engine is either warm or hot the car won't start for either 10 or so turn of the key or sumtimes have to leave it 20 minutes, from cold or when the engine does start it drives fine with plenty of pull and no misfiring, my mechanic has changed the camshaft sensor and coolant temp sensor with no luck, I really need to Dort this problem out before I can sell the car,,,,,PLEASE! PLEASE ANY HELP APPRECIATED

I have had a similar problem with my 2003 A3 2.0 FSi (115k) as well (more on than off) for 3 years! It will normally start (roughly) after a couple of turns. I've had the crank (£50) and O2 (£780) sensors replaced with no improvement. The car has also just had a new Audi rear box (£700) and still no change. I have read that electrical connections/connectors can cause the fault. I've also read that the Engine Speed sensor could be the problem as they are located in the bell housing and are prone to over-heating due to thin insulation. Any definite diagnosis would be gratefully received.

I have had a similar problem with my 2003 A3 2.0 FSi (115k) as well (more on than off) for 3 years! It will normally start (roughly) after a couple of turns. I've had the crank (£50) and O2 (£780) sensors replaced with no improvement. The car has also just had a new Audi rear box (£700) and still no change. I have read that electrical connections/connectors can cause the fault. I've also read that the Engine Speed sensor could be the problem as they are located in the bell housing and are prone to over-heating due to thin insulation. Any definite diagnosis would be gratefully received.
Hi Red Sport, did you get a definate diagnosis? Having same problem. Sensors have been replaced, water pump seems okay. Really need to find the answer soon.

I seem to have finally got to the bottom of this problem - it was the Camshaft Position Sensor! The first diagnosis at my local independent in 2013 indicated several fault codes and the mechanic opted to replace this Sensor but it may have been a non-genuine part. I've just had the part replaced again after a breakdown that required a recovery and this time insisted the sensor was a genuine Audi part. Hey presto! The car starts fine now. So NorthernDaisy75 I hope this answer is not too late and helps you out :)