1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AUDI A3 1.9 tDI not starting

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by hancliff79, Aug 15, 2011.

1. hancliff79

hancliff79 New Member

[Aug 15, 2011]
    Hi Everyone,

I hope someone can help as I'm starting to lose the love for my new Audi :sadlike: Sorry if my story is long winded but I want to make sure all info is there :sly:

I bought a 55 plate (Jan 2006 registered) Audi A3 1.9 tDI back in March, it ran fine for the first few months with no problems. I then went for an operation and couldn't drive for 8 weeks, during this time the car was started about 4 times.

I have been driving it again for the past 2 months and pretty much straight away I had problems starting it, it starts and then cuts out straight away if not revved and then can't be started again unless the accelerator is pumped vigorously for about 30 seconds or more. On occassion it starts and stays that way as long as it is revved up for about 30 seconds but seems to do the former (cutting out straight way or not starting at all) if parked on even a slight incline. The revvs just seem very low and definitely lower than when it started smoothly.

It was also losing power while driving and spluttering/giving off black smoke so I took it in to someone with the diagnostic machine (sorry I'm a girl so don't know the tech term!) They found a fault with the gas valve which is why it was losing power and billowing out black smoke on occassion so they blocked it up to check if the engine management light came on which it did. So they replaced this and the heater plugs which apparently were black and the gas valve full of gunk! It has run fine since then but the starting problem seems to still be there and in honesty seems worse. They have plugged into the diagnostics
    again but say nothing comes up but the radio (this is disconnected as currently being repaired). As there was only an eighth tank of fuel at the time, they put it down to this as to why it wasn't starting but I have been able to start from empty before!

However it is now half full of fuel and I am still experiencing this problem, does anyone please have any pearls of wisdom or had similar problems and have any idea what it could be or what I can do?

Many thanks
  2. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 15, 2011]
    Hi, Welcome to Audi-Sport

Your 55 plate A3 is an 8P chassis A3, I'm moving it into the correct area so you can get the appropriate answers from members who own the same type of car.
  3. SAiLO

SAiLO Enthusiast VCDS Map User

[Aug 15, 2011]
    Is the battery ok? How about the starter motor?
    I'd also try add some diesel injector cleaner to the tank.
  4. hancliff79

hancliff79 New Member

[Aug 15, 2011]
    Thanks and thanks... sorry new to this so a little lost in navigating around!

Thanks for your answer too SAiLO, I am told the battery and starter motor are fine so I'll try the injector cleaner - after trying to start it and pumping the accelerator, it does flash up with the red oil warning light on the dash but am told this is unlikely an oil problem?