AUDI A3 1.8T RUNNING COLD

joeshenton

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought myself an a3 so straight on the forums - always the best place to go for people who know what they're on about - or not, we'll see ;)

I think my thermostat is duff- water temp seems to sit at the bottom the whole time and the only time i did it see go to anything above that was when the water fully overheated and i needed a new waterpump cos water was just boiling in the block!

anyways - engine seems to run sweet altho never gets up to temp, rad fan does seem to kick in so whats telling it to come on if the stats gone?

the internal heater fans also dont seem to get to hot and im not sure if this part of the same issue?

any ideas?

Been covered quite a lot this of late what with the bad weather...... it will deff be your thermostat.... the spring seems to get weak with age and it opens too soon or maybe even sticks..... temp should go upto aroun 90 then just after that is when the fans kick in.... it's a bit tricky to get at the bottom bolt holding it in but if you use the search feature you should come up with a "How Too" the 49c trick is a means of showing the engine temp on your aircon screen... you hold down 2 buttons ( i forget which , Recirc and something else ) and that puts the aircon into a diagnostic mode.... cycle through to number 49 and that will show your temp.... it's usefull to see if it's your dial thats at fault the 2 temps should be the same..... the fans are controled by their own thermo switch..... the older black temp senders are know to fail a lot also... i've just done mine as it would be fine one min and then drop off the bottom of the scale the next... again use the search function there's plenty written up about it

Last edited:
thanks for the reply - i will do a few searches, im pretty sure its the thermostat too so just need to findmyself a good guide - seen a couple on here so its all good :)