1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi A3 1.8t pod install

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Jenno007, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Jenno007

Jenno007 Member

I've recently purchased a 1999 Audi A3 1.8l turbo 5spd man as a daily driver and I plan on squeezing a little more power out of the very capable engine. As the car as only done 114,000KMs (not miles) I don't have any worries with the engine.

My first mod is hopefully going to be installing a pod filter to replace the factory airbox. As I've seen the Honda S2000 pod seems to be a popular choice around here and I was going to follow suit, however I have a few queries.

Pic 1:
    [​IMG]

As you can see the engine is completely standard.

Pic 2:
    [​IMG]

Closer up of the airbox

Pic 3:
    [​IMG]

I believe the item I've circled in red is the MAF filter, however I don't know what the other two sensors are (circled with blue). I'm guessing they are important and if I remove the air box I have no idea what to do with these two leads.
    Also if the pod is to simply bolt onto the intake to the turbo I will need to remove the MAF housing and I don't know where the MAF will plug into.

To me it seems that I'm missing something and I will need to make additional purchases like a new MAF housing. Basically my question is, do I plug the pod directly onto the turbo intake? If that is a yes what do I do with the three sensors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Item circled red is a MAF sensor...

Item circled blue is the ignition control module (ignition amplifier)

You need to relocate the ICM when you remove the air box to an appropriate position as the back is a heatsink

You unscrew the MAF from the airbox (held on by two screws) and re-use it...

The S2000 filter thread (in the FAQs thread located in the stickies on the first page at the top of this section) has all the info you need including fitting options I believe

<tuffty/>
  3. Jenno007

Jenno007 Member

Thanks for the reply Tuffty, could you please go into a little more detail about the ICM. Is the ICM doing anything with the airbox at all? I don't understand why its housing is attached to the airbox. Does it need to be reattached anywhere? Or is it just located there so it doesn't get too hot?
  4. desertstorm

desertstorm Well-Known Member