Audi A3 1.8T (8l AUM Engine): Strange noise - grinding/rubbing noise..

pangsterA3

Reaction score
Website
www.paullynch.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
I've noticed over the last 2 days that I have a strange grinding/rubbing noise coming from my car - I've done some searching on here and Google and can't seem to find any suggestions as to what it might be - the symptoms are below:

* only happens around 1200-1250 rpm
* happens when engine is hot or cold
* happens when engine is stationary or driving
* pressing clutch has no difference

Given the above I'm fairly certain it won't be any of the following:

* cv joint
* power steering rack
* release bearing
* flywheel

I'm pretty stumped with this one? - I only noticed it after having my new tyres fitted - but can't see how that would have been anything other than coincidental.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions??

Sounds like a nakerd cv to me or wheel bearing. Dont panic lol try jacking it up and spinning the wheel by hand to see if bearings are on way out and check for split cv.

Sounds like a nakerd cv to me or wheel bearing. Dont panic lol try jacking it up and spinning the wheel by hand to see if bearings are on way out and check for split cv.

thanks for the reply - it happens when the car is stationary though?.. that would probably rule out a CV joint or wheel bearing??

Could it just be somthing vibrating off somthing else?

Could it just be somthing vibrating off somthing else?

possibly.. i'll need to try and have a proper root around in daylight!.. pretty stumped with it at the minute though and annoyed because i don't know what it is! LOL! - especially with it only happening over a short RPM range (that kind of suggest that it is a vibration of some sort - but why has it just started doing it now!! grrr... annoying!!)..

thanks for the replies! - I'll update with an outcome if I get to the bottom of it.. all other suggestions are still welcome at the moment though! :D

Lol they can be strange cars dude, have you modified the car in any way?

there has been a guy on here (cant remember his name) who had a simular rattle around that rpm range, his rattle turned out to be the cam belt tensioner damper.

ill see if i can find you his thread

thanks for all the replies!!

it did end up being a heat shield!! - now sorted FOC!! (phew!)... :D

the first thing I done when I got the car was to get the timing belt, tensioners and water pump replaced! :D

Last edited: