Audi A3 1.6 SE

skyliner34

Savin' & Lookin' for an A3!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for an Audi A3. I have found a R Reg 1.6 SE with FSH. But I have a few questions:

1. What bulb fittings does the car have. i.e H7, H1 etc..?
2. What size wipers does it have?
3. Has anyone fitted retrofit hid kits to the standard A3 headlamps? I have found kits at hids4u.co.uk.

Hey bud,
Cant answer any of your questions unfortunately..... but out of curiosity why do you need to know wiper sizes and bulb fitments????
They seem like the last things I would need to know when deciding weather or not to buy a car!

lol.

I'm not deciding the car on those questions. I just want to know the bulb fitment because I like in the country side and good lights is very important. So I want to know what bulbs I can get for the A3, hence why I was asking about the HID retrofits.

I want to upgrade/try out these retrofit aero wipers. And I just wanted to know what sizes the blades on the A3 :)

Oh I see you're also from Wales ;)

P.S. How much quicker is the 1.6 A3 compared to a 1L Micra, 0-60 in 16s :lmfao: Becuase I'm driving my twins Micra at the moment, it's my first car in a way, driven it hard, like I stole it and done thousands and thousands of miles in it and it's never skipped a beat!, poor thing :sorry:

i own a 1.6 sport late 97 so roughly same as what your looking at.

It's not by any means a fast car, you'll notice a difference compared to a micra but if your looking for something quick buy a turbo, or even a n/a 1.8 as they have a bit more get up and go.

Having said that for a 1.6 it is a fairly torquey engine so feels fairly at home on the motorway etc, i also love the interior it'll be a world apart from the micra you're driving just now.

If i remember correctly the bulb fitments are h7 for headlights and h1 for full beams - you can get an HID kit but remember you really need levellers and especially headlamp washers for them to remain effective.

I've fitted some facelift style angel eyes to mine and i have to say there is a world of difference compared to the rubbish pre facelift headlights. They just use 4 H7 bulbs but really do light the way much better.

As for the wipers i cant remember think the drivers side is 21 inch, not sure about passengers.

Hope this helps mate

oh yeah to answer your actual question, 1.6 0-60 is about ten seconds

So it's about 6 seconds quicker than the Micra. It's inbetween the gears it counts really. The Micra is a bit suggish, so you have to prepare ahead to overtake which is annoying.

Where did you get the angel eyes from in the UK?

Thanks

I got mine on ebay, got them cheap as nobody seems to want the ones for the facelifft cars, meant i had to make a new wiring loom up and cut some inner bits of metal/wing but its not as scary as it sounds plus i only paid £40 for them.

Lots of people prefer the standard facelift lights, they really make a difference to the way the car looks i'd recommend it.

The car is fine for everyday driving but you'll need to give it a bit of a kicking to do any sort of safe overtaking - although i also own an mr2 and its no quicker in gear than the audi if not slower (until you hit 5k revs then it goes)

in 2001 audi gave the car new lights front and back - the fronts were changed to single piece units in a projector style, pre facelift have seperate indicator units and look rather rubbish in comparison.

The rears on the facelift have a larger white strip in the middle as opposed to the slim one in the pre-facelift. I 'think' that they can be replaced and just plugged straight in, no wiring to be done, not sure as i havent done it somebody will correct me im sure.

I'll stick two pics of my car on, one with pre facelift and one with the new lights, my angel eyes look almost identical to facelift lights bar the rings obviously

2569508960a2600904716b393966499m.jpg

Before

2569508960a2569719045b58328450m.jpg

Now

its dirty in the first pic which dont help either :redface:

Have you got bigger pics?

It does look better though :)

Also will I have to cut metal/wiring to fit the Audi facelift lamps? or just with the angel eyes?

2569508960a2569719045b160344641l.jpg

2569508960a2600904716b45534617l.jpg

If fitting the facelifted lights, you need to cut metal from the inside of the wing, and also a bit of the bumper guide to make them sit perfectly, there are angel eye lights very similar to mine available that should just plug straight into the gap no cutting required

Right ok.

I've gone to http://www.europerformance.co.uk and I dont know which ones is the for 97-98 A3. The ones with the indicators included are the 03- A3 headlights.

P.S. Do they come in pairs?, looks like if I want the 97 A3 angeleyes I have to buy the lamp and indicator lamp seperate which I dont mind. But do they just slot in and plug in?, can anyone confirm?

i have a pair of unused a3 one piece face lift headlights , not angel eyes
if your interested , bought them at this years gti international , but now have a facelift s3 so they are surplus to requirements .

I wouldnt get them off ebay, im ordering some Angel eyes soon ive got the crapy pre facelift tones too.

Im getting some that fit properly £200 but hey are Hella ones same make as your exisiting headlights.

I bought a set of angels off ebay for a punto while back didnt fit right and wires everywhere!

Jason

Probably just an adapter to take your current wiring loom to the type of plug that those lights require