Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Sport

h5djr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just in case anyone is interested, this week's Auto Express have a road test comparing the A3 1.4 TFSI Sport with the BMW 116i ES and the Mercedes A179 Eleganse SE.

The summaries are:

The BMW can't match the Audi's pace, but it's engine is refined. Emissions are low and economy good, while the 116i has a sharp chassis and steering. Only the firm ride and cramped rear let it down.

The A3's new engine is great. It's punchy and refined, and has lots of torque for strong in-gear pace. Cabin design and finish are the best, yet it's not as well thought out as that in the A-Class

Even though it's solidly build, the baby Mercedes lacks the Audi's quality. It's also wooden to drive and the exterior design isn't very appealing. It's practical, but the A-Class can't match it's rivals.

So what would you go for? For me the Audi wins hands down. Much nicer looking...that A Class is one of the ugliest machines I've ever seen and the Beemer is under powered and over priced.

Just the other week I had a Sportback 57 plated with a '1.4T' badge infront of me. I took 2 pictures but cba uploading it heh but they are out there.

Certainly if had to choose between the three I would choose the A3 every time.

Im a big fan of the 1.4T it is very impressive, very nice and smooth and quite punchy.

bowfer said:
It's not a great three to choose from, let's be honest.

For Christ sake, change the record.

You don't like your A3, we know, you have told us all a thousand times.

Is it really necessary to snipe at every opportunity you see (and every non opportunity)?

Get over it, I promise you, I have the better deal coming from an Alpina to an A3, but you have yet to find that out!

GlasgowRangers said:
I completely agree. I had a wee shot in it again yesterday and loved it.
Good to hear.

It will definitely be on my list to try out when I change car next time. I want something more economical next time, so this will be a viable alternative to an oil burner.

mfspen said:
Good to hear.

It will definitely be on my list to try out when I change car next time. I want something more economical next time, so this will be a viable alternative to an oil burner.

I know some people need to have economy at the top of their shopping list. I don't and have to say that buying the 2.0t petrol over the 170 diesel was so the right choice (for me).

I would expect the 1.4 to be very nippy in petrol form.

Moisty said:
For Christ sake, change the record.

You don't like your A3, we know, you have told us all a thousand times.

Is it really necessary to snipe at every opportunity you see (and every non opportunity)?

Get over it, I promise you, I have the better deal coming from an Alpina to an A3, but you have yet to find that out!

Dry your eyes, you whinging girl.:blownose:
It is a pish choice of cars.
If someone offered me one of those three, even I'd have to go for the A3.
Why anyone would go for a base model of any car baffles me.
If you have limited budget, go for slightly used better model.

sputnik said:
Im a big fan of the 1.4T it is very impressive, very nice and smooth and quite punchy.

Nice to hear :yes: :yes: I have one on order but have never driven one :confused:

My local dealer loaned me a 2.0T Quattro whilst mine was having work done and i averaged 19 MPIG :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :blownose:

So wont be havin one o them :sadlike: :sadlike:

bowfer said:

Seems you are uneducated too. You neither know the meaning of the word, nor can spell whingeing.

I have a rule, I will never have a battle of the wits with the unarmed, sorry.

Over and out.

The Auto Express test was between 3 cars with prices within a few hundred pounds of each other. Maybe not the most sporting or powerful cars in each manufacturer's range, but comparable. Not everyone wants the most performance possible for their money.

For someone who wants a fairly basic new A3, I would think the 1.4TFSI would a reasonable model to choose.

h5djr said:
The Auto Express test was between 3 cars with prices within a few hundred pounds of each other. Maybe not the most sporting or powerful cars in each manufacturer's range, but comparable. Not everyone wants the most performance possible for their money.

For someone who wants a fairly basic new A3, I would think the 1.4TFSI would a reasonable model to choose.
Definitely.

Although, opting for the 1.4TFSI engine doesn't necessarily mean getting a 'fairly basic' car. If I bought one, I would spec it up to the same degree as my current car - metallic paint, CD changer, leather seats, etc, etc.

bowfer said:

Sorry Bowfer mate I have to disagree with you. The 1.4 TFSi is WELL over 20K if you add all the bits and bobs to it like I have with my 1.8TFSi mate. Just because it has a smaller engine capacity doesn't mean it is a base model. I tested the car and loved it. In my opinion it's much faster than the old 1.8T and bags more fun. There is torque available from the get go. I am beginning to regret choosing the 1.8TFSi. I feel the 1.4 TFSi is plenty fun to drive. Audi have really came up with a winner in this wee engine. Sorry.

mfspen said:
Definitely.

Although, opting for the 1.4TFSI engine doesn't necessarily mean getting a 'fairly basic' car. If I bought one, I would spec it up to the same degree as my current car - metallic paint, CD changer, leather seats, etc, etc.

That would be my plan, 80% of the time I am sat in an urban crawl, I would much rather spend my money on a nice spec upgrade than a bigger engine.

Each to their own at the end of the day.

Couldn't agree more. I think all of you will be pleasantly surprised when you test this thing.

sputnik said:
That would be my plan, 80% of the time I am sat in an urban crawl,/quote]

So why go for a petrol at all?
Why not go for a diesel?

GlasgowRangers said:
......There is torque available from the get go. I am beginning to regret choosing the 1.8TFSi. I feel the 1.4 TFSi is plenty fun to drive. Audi have really came up with a winner in this wee engine.
Very interesting.

How does the performance compare overall with your 1.8TFSI ?
And also, what is the smoothness and refinement like compared to the 1.8 ?

Most comments on the 1.4T sound promising :yes: I am looking forward to picking this car up in March now :yes:

A3 1.4TFSI SE without them chuffing 17 spoke difficult to clean alloys

Old SE 7 spokers instead which are alot easier to clean. :happy: :happy: :happy:

mfspen said:
Very interesting.

How does the performance compare overall with your 1.8TFSI ?
And also, what is the smoothness and refinement like compared to the 1.8 ?

It was very strange. If anybody has ever tested both available Golf TSi engines in 140 and 170 form then a bit of a comparison can be drawn there but not an exact one.

The 1.8TFSi is a bit all or nothing in my opinion whereas the 1.4TFSi really does feel more refined. When I was putting the foot down through the corners I was very impressed by the jabbing performance. If you were to tell a person they were driving a car with a 1.4 unit I am absoloutely certain he or she would be shocked. It feels NOTHING like a 1.4 and there was a great engine note from it too...maybe helped by the twin pipes. Lovely wee car and work very well done by Audi imo.

GlasgowRangers said:
It was very strange. If anybody has ever tested both available Golf TSi engines in 140 and 170 form then a bit of a comparison can be drawn there but not an exact one.

The 1.8TFSi is a bit all or nothing in my opinion whereas the 1.4TFSi really does feel more refined. When I was putting the foot down through the corners I was very impressed by the jabbing performance. If you were to tell a person they were driving a car with a 1.4 unit I am absoloutely certain he or she would be shocked. It feels NOTHING like a 1.4 and there was a great engine note from it too...maybe helped by the twin pipes. Lovely wee car and work very well done by Audi imo.

Carry on :yes: :yes: :yes: Your making me feel even better about this 1.4 TFSI :yes: :yes: :yes: I should have really test driven one before i ordered the new un :wacko: but the dealer did not have one at the time.
The dealer could not answer my question on single or twin exhausts but thanks again you sorted that one as well

CHEERS :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Hold on... is this a 1.4 TSI or 1.4 TFSI OR... is it the same engine but just badged differently (VW / Audi)

emzino said:
Hold on... is this a 1.4 TSI or 1.4 TFSI OR... is it the same engine but just badged differently (VW / Audi)

Different engine.
Turbo only in the TFSI, compared with turbo + supercharger in VW's TSI

mfspen said:
Different engine.
Turbo only in the TFSI, compared with turbo + supercharger in VW's TSI

Ahhhhhhh. I thought it was just different badging/marketing! Well that changes everything...

What kind of bhp is it pushing out & any rough ideas of mpg?

emzino said:
Ahhhhhhh. I thought it was just different badging/marketing! Well that changes everything...

What kind of bhp is it pushing out & any rough ideas of mpg?
125bhp, but more importantly 200Nm from just 1500rpm.
Audis figures for fuel consumption say 43.5mpg combined cycle.

mfspen said:
125bhp, but more importantly 200Nm from just 1500rpm.
Audis figures for fuel consumption say 43.5mpg combined cycle.

The 140 diesel has

140bhp
320nm from 1750rpm
51.4mpg

So the diesel is superior in every way, other than initial purchase cost.
Now, here's a possibility for you.
Given that the 1.4TFSI is a new model, you may not get a discount.
You can easily get a discount on a 2.0tdi though, probably taking it down to 1.4TFSI money?
Resale, I would venture the 140tdi would hold it's value better than a 1.4TFSI too?

bowfer said:
So the diesel is superior in every way, other than initial purchase cost......
......and refinement.

The new CR 143 engine may well be different however.

bowfer said:
So why go for a petrol at all?
Why not go for a diesel?

I was always lead to believe that a diesel was barely more economical in town stop/start traffic. Judging by the thirst of my 140 in traffic, I'm starting to believe it.
Of course on motorways the diesel economy is in a different league compared to a petrol.

sat1983 said:
I was always lead to believe that a diesel was barely more economical in town stop/start traffic. Judging by the thirst of my 140 in traffic, I'm starting to believe it.
Of course on motorways the diesel economy is in a different league compared to a petrol.

Audi quote 32.8 urban only, for the 1.4TFSI.
They quote 39.2 urban only, for the 2.0TDI.

So if you think your 2.0Tdi is gutsy around town, chances are the 1.4TFSI would be even worse.