1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi A3 1.4 TFSI 125 by REVO - Disappointment inside

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by jmotero, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jmotero

jmotero New Member

[Jan 7, 2011]
    Hi everybody.
    I recently had my A3 1.4 TSI 125 bhp remapped with REVO a couple weeks ago here in Spain. The software installation was smooth and flawless, we did some readings with VAG-COM (Turbo Boost, MAF and so forth) and everything seemed to be OK (at least that’s what the REVO dealer told me)
    In my way back home, I tried to ‘feel’ the new enhancements, noticing it was more responsive and quicker from 3000 to 4500 rpm I also noticed that the car didn’t lose power from 5500 to 6500 which it was pretty normal with the stock ECU software.
    In the other hand, the turbo lag was my only complaint at that moment, and was the first difference I felt driving the car.
    Of course those were just feelings, maybe I overestimate the remap, thinking it was going to be something different but at that moment I was happy with it, not thrilled but just happy.
    And then I had the RR session to check the figures and that’s what I got:
    I would like the experts to tell me if this is a normal graphic with this remap.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Obviously it was the same Dyno, and the weather conditions were pretty similar. I also made some videos if you want to check out:

Obviously I didn’t expect 160 horses like ABT, APR and other tuning stores claimed to offer, but at least those 15–20bhp that REVO says they can pull out, but not just 5 which is a ridiculous gain, at least for me, i mean, numbers aren’t everything but damn, just 5bhp after having spent 500€….

Obviously i am very disappointed and I don’t think anybody’s gonna complaint if say that I can not recommend having this engine remapped, at least with REVO.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. dany2k

dany2k Member

[Jan 7, 2011]
    makes you wonder if audi have done their very best getting the most out of such a low displacement engine that tuning gains are always going to be minimal: a bit like tuning a vtec engine like the civic type r's?
  4. jmotero

jmotero New Member

[Jan 7, 2011]
    In case it can help, i made some logs with VAG-COM, Turbo Boost, and MAF.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

[Jan 7, 2011]
    I would be amazed if a reputable outfit like REVO would simply market a product that didnt work.
    Sounds like an installation problem.

Cheers
    Paul
  6. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

[Jan 7, 2011]
    ok on the one hand you could consider that you paid 100EUR for every 1bhp, but on the other hand you said you felt a tangible improvement in performance when you actually drove it and were "happy". if you were happy why does the RR figure matter? you could try and be positive and say you spent 500EUR on something which you felt improved the car.

me personally if i could get a refund or more power i probably would, but if i couldn't i wouldn't feel too hard done by. you enjoyed the drive home, and with no disrespect intended a 1.4 was never going to set the road on fire no matter what you had done to it.

let us know how you get on anyways. best of luck.
  7. TFSI

TFSI Born to Fish

[Jan 7, 2011]
    Doesn't this same 1.4T do 200 ps in the VW Polo/Golf ?????? with the addition of an intercooler and a tweek or two ?????
  8. audicruiser

audicruiser Audi Heaven

[Jan 7, 2011]
    It's 180bhp in the new Skoda Fabia VRs and VW Polo GTi.........
  9. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep

[Jan 7, 2011]
    yeah and a supercharger !!
  10. jmotero

jmotero New Member

[Jan 8, 2011]
    I would be amazed too. And i chose REVO because of his reputation. But what i'd like to know is whether that figures are OK or not.
    I'm pretty sure that REVO has huge amount of data of this engine, so i'd like them to tell if something is wrong.
    Thanks for the comments.
  11. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Jan 8, 2011]
    This does not surprise me at all. Looking at the graph Revo claim a rise of 15bhp and most of that from 5000rpm upwards. What is more relevant is the rise from 165 Lb/ft to 180LB/FT at about 3k rpm.
    The rise in bhp from 0-5000rpm is about what you would expect from changing from 95 to 98 ron petrol. Its doubtful you would really notice that.

What were your before and after torque figure ??

I suspect this engine is already squeezed to the limit to get 125bhp and 165 LB/FT out of it in the first place..
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  12. paddy

[Jan 8, 2011]
    Do not think its beyond Revo to stretch the truth .....lol

I looked up their claim for the 3.2 as i have that fitted. They say 262 bhp which is rubbish because they also claim 12bhp increase from 250. Fact is the 3.2 engine only produced about 240bhp on a good day and that figure could vary 10% from car to car. 250bhp would be a reasonable remap figure. Most of that gain would be Revo's insistence that you run 99 Ron petrol. The map however does smooth the car out and helps the DSG changes but you will never notice a power gain on the road.
  13. jmotero

jmotero New Member

[Jan 8, 2011]
    You can see the torque figure in the very same graphic (it's called PAR in Spanish)
    The units are in Kg/m instead of LB/FT which would be 165 LB/FT after the remap and 145 before.
    Thanks for your answer.
  14. JamesS4cab

JamesS4cab Well-Known Member

[Jan 8, 2011]
    May be worth popping over to Vagoc.co.uk and posting in the Revo section as Revo Carl is often on and is normally extremely helpful in answering concerns or comments.

Revo Technik | VAGOC.co.uk
  15. paddy

[Jan 8, 2011]
    To be honest if you got a 20LB/FT increase in Torque i think you did well. I cant see much wrong with the map with an increase like that. Torque is far more usable /obvious than peek bhp in real life.
  16. jmotero

jmotero New Member

[Jan 8, 2011]
    I already did :yes:.
    Hope Carl can help.
    Thanks
  17. paddy

[Jan 9, 2011]
    I cant help wondering what you were expecting ?
  18. jmotero

jmotero New Member

[Jan 9, 2011]
    Actually i was expecting that the power graph were more like the one they advert in their website, which is not the case.
    By the way, taking a look at the VAGCOM logs, is there any way i can have a boost leak? I mean i noticed that actual pressure never meets requested pressure.
    Thanks
  19. jmotero

jmotero New Member

[Jan 13, 2011]
    For those interested in this case, i went to my local dealer (Obviously i didn't tell that the car was remapped) to check if something was wrong with the turbo (given the logs, some experts say that it's very plausible that i can have a boost leak) but they didn't find anything.
    I'll have to keep looking into this issue.
    Cheers
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011