Audi 90 stalls in park or neutral

I

imported_jimmy154

My Audi 90 (1994) 2.8 liter automatic, stalls in park or neutral. Seems to idle well when not in those two. If I start it it idles in park for about min and then turns off. If I drive somewhere, anywhere, it shuts off a second after I put it in park or neutral.

I read about stall problems here and other places on the net and I have a few ideas about what it might be (ie idle control, fuel injectors, others that I forgot), but no ones problem or symptoms is/are exactly the same as mine. So I'm here begging for help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Look at that face.

the auto box selector has a switch that will stop the car from starting when in anything other than park or neutral. I wonder if that switch is somehow faulty and acting in reverse to what it should??

other causes could be temp sensor, vacuum leaks, immobiliser/alarm

is the car displaying any other symptoms? rough idle, temp high or low, etc?

Car is fine otherwise. Small oil leak, that's it. I don't think the idle is rough at all. The temperature senser seems to be displaying a normal operating temperature. I will keep looking at the temp sensor though. I'm not 100% sure about this one. It does seems to happen only when the car is warm.

How does the immobiliser/alarm get triggered in this case to stop the car running? I'm very curious about this.

You don't think it could be the idle control?

If you start it in park or neutral. It has a trendency to run for about a minute or two and then stall. I think this might be the case even when the car is started warm or cold. Maybe it only stalls when warm though. I will experiment and then post findings. I will see where the ECU is and see if i can clean the wire connectionings going to the ECU (if there are some) because I do suspect it's electrical, for some reason (I got a feeling).

I cleaned the ISV, although I'm not sure I did it right. And it did not help. Also I had a hole in a vacume tube that I replaced and that also did not help.