1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi 2.7t starting problems

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by audi-a6, Dec 9, 2012.

1. audi-a6

audi-a6 Member

Sorry for posting in the a4 section (i have an a6) but from experience people are on this section more than the a6 section and my engine is technically the s4 engine.

So, i have an a6 2.7t and over the last couple of months its been taking longer and longer to start, so much that in knackered my battery (now replaced). When the car is warm, it will fire strait up. Some days it will fire after 10-15 cranks (thats a good day) but even then, you have to keep your foot down untill the revs pick up, on the other hand if it just about starts and i take my foot off the pedal and it sometimes conks back out, if it does do this i have to leave it half an hour as it just wont start! Sometimes it can take 100+ cranks to fire up (maybe more as i cant count that quick) during this you can hear and feel the car trying to fire and smell alot of petrol coming out the back.

So, any ideas???? fuel pump? coil packs? 02 sensors? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
  2. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Active Member Regional Rep

best to get it scanned , look on the vcds users map to see who is near to you.
  3. audi-a6

audi-a6 Member

probs a stupid question but, vcds users map???
  4. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Active Member Regional Rep

5. audi-a6

audi-a6 Member

think iv solved it, just unplugged the temp sensor and car fired strait up! so think thats my problem?
  6. HibiscusS4

HibiscusS4 Member

Sounds right, I was going to suggest temperature sensor (water temp to be precise). Most cars will default to cold running with the sensor removed, remember to plug it back in when the car is warmed up if you plan using the car between now and when you buy/fit a new sensor.
  7. audi-a6

audi-a6 Member

yeah, noticed that its harder to start when warm and unplugged lol

an interesting fact aswell, is for nearly 15 months iv had a shunting problem that never has been solved (like some one drives up the back of me when taking foot of gas pedal) with the temp sensor unplugged, its gone!!!! its actually gone, the £££££ spent on trying to solve that problem, ie, new clutch/fly wheel, recon diff, hours of audi main dealer diagnostics..... not happy coz of the money but happy that the problem has been solved......