Audi 2.0TDI Black edition 140/170 PS... unusual scenario

crichards1976

Reaction score
I have in the last few days purchased 2nd hand 2.0TDI Black Edition from an Audi dealership that had advertised the vehicle as being the 170 BHP version.

When attempting to insure the vehicle I unexpectedly discovered that the car was in fact the 140BHP model! I have since spoken to the dealership about it who accept that a mistake has been made, have been extremely apologetic, and are doing their utmost to remedy the situation.

I have been given various options to think about including chipping the current vehicle to achieve 170 BHP.

Visually, the 2010 Black Edition 2.0 TDIs 140 and 170 BHP versions are indistinguishable from each other (this includes the exhaust pipes). What I would like to know is whether the internal engine components differ between the two models to generate the additional BHP, or is it just down to the chip? :sos:

I have a 2.0tdi 170bhp, and the componants are the same.Its just the map.I reckon the dealers done you a favour really,cos the 170 drinks juice.And is a grand dearer than a 140.£300 will get you a safe 30bhp remap that will not only give you a bit of extra boot, but will smooth it out and bring the power in sooner.Get the remap done yourself (is it a ppd ecu?) and get the dealer to drop it a grand.I strongly recommend cnlremapping
http://http://www.cnlremappingltd.co.uk/

Thanks for that. I was hoping that might be the case. The dealer is attempting to find a direct replacement - it is good to know that the chipping option is a realistic one though :happy:

How easy is it to remove a chip once added?

I would demand a swap for the 170 like for like

It has been a little trying, though I am genuinely impressed by the dealership's response to it all and the efforts they are going to to sort it out.

The worrying thing is that there currently appear to be other 140PS A3s wrongly advertised on the Audi used car service as 170 PS models - (e.g. I'm told that a black 2.0 TDI A3 Black Edition in Manchester turns out to be 140PS and not the 170PS suggested online :shrug:).

The dealership is doing its best to source a 170 PS for me with the same spec as the current vehicle. They seem to be thin on the ground at the moment but I am keeping my fingers crossed. In the meantime I have the use of the 140 PS. If they are unable to find something suitable within a reasonable timeframe then it will have to be a refund. I'm hoping that can be avoided.

Devonmikeyboys' entry on this thread has been really useful re the differences between the 140 and 170: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...how-do-audi-do-2-0d-engine-140bhp-170bhp.html

Don't forget though that a chipped 140 will need to be declared to the insurance company and so would have to have a modified car policy, with potential extra costs. Not an issue if you want to do other mods to the car, but if you want to keep it standard and have a standard policy then hang out for the 170 model.

If it was me I wouldn't accept a chipped 140.

Good Luck.

Paul

If it was me I wouldn't accept a chipped 140.

+1

The MY11 models def. have single exhausts (140) and twin exhausts (170) check out the BE thread on here