1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At last i'm at 8mb

Caesium Jan 5, 2007

1. Caesium

Caesium My BM is fixed! VCDS Map User

Having had to wait about 9 months for my adsl to get up to the 8mb service I'm finally there! Its in its training mode at the moment so i'm getting between 6-8mbs but its a world better than 2mb I had before.... bloody fantastic!

2. joost

joost Active Member

8meg is quality - I'm with Demon and never seem to have drop outs (that I've noticed anyway). Just watch it screw up now... I think it's fantastic for streaming music and video. There's no way I could go back to 2meg.

3. Mart

Mart Active Member

I've put the request in for mine just before Christmas! Waiting for it to happen now!
    Looking forward to it though

4. 205man

205man Active Member

8mb im still on 1.1mb and been told best i could get will around 3mb

alan

5. coupe-se

coupe-se Member

I'm on an 8Meg connection and due to the quality of the line and distance from the exchange the best download speed I get is 2meg :crying:

I use this site for speed testing: http://www.speedtest.net/

Anyone know any other reliable sites???

6. Caesium

7. K7ERG

K7ERG Member

On 8Mb for the 3rd Jan and never noticed a big difference. I think a memory upgrade is on the cards now. 512 at the moment.

It runs at 8.1

8. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore Team Floret Silver quattro Audi A3 Black Edition TDi

I'm still on dial-up.

9. Caesium

Hmmmm cutting edge!
    [​IMG]

10. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore Team Floret Silver quattro Audi A3 Black Edition TDi

That looks fast.

11. Caesium

ULTRA fast....

12. bena3turbo

bena3turbo Genuine Dude

im on tiscali 1mb. it connects at a mind blowing 160kbps. absolute ****.

they blame BT and BT blame tiscali.

13. Onlyme

Onlyme Member

A4 did you buy your modem from a bloke up the pub ? have you tried it out yet as i reckon when you plug it in all you will get is " breaker breaker this is a convoy, coming at you on chanel 12, do you copy funky monkey "

14. Caesium

hahaha! Thats not my modem, its the one I sold you, haven't you recieved it yet? Don't worry about the coffee stain on top of it, it makes it work faster.

This is what I use, can't fault it.
    We supply these all day long, never had a problem with them, I had a NetGear before, what a pile of ****.
    [​IMG]

15. joost

joost Active Member

Don't tell me that, I bought a NetGear modem router the other day! :sadlike: What problems did you have?

16. Onlyme

Onlyme Member

mmmmmm vigor :uhm:

Im going orf to the plane conveyor belt thread

17. Onlyme

Onlyme Member

It didnt have a coffee stain on the top of it

18. Caesium

Restarting it once a day, often couldn't get onto the config page, it seemed to overheat, in the end I binned the ******* thing. only 9 months old.

19. joost

joost Active Member

Oh great! I'll just see how it goes for the time being. If it goes tits up, someone may be getting a NetGear shaped suppository.

20. Caesium

I'd never buy another, I spec this sort of equipment all day long, and we've had commercial premises with the netgear units in, its shocking. Some people get on with them okay, but my cousin had a netgear and apparently a lightning strike killed it...hmmmm.

If it stops working then return it and get a draytek, they don't sound very good but they're the best router this side of a cisco and a cisco router will set you back about a grand at the very least.

21. joost

joost Active Member

Cheers Chris, I'll keep that in mind. Knowing my luck the bloody thing'll be timebombed to stop working 1 minute after the warranty expires!

22. madvw

madvw Active Member

no problems with netgear here. I've had about 3 taken out by lightning, but i wouldnt expect it to survive after that.

one thing that is rubbish though is netgears support. Can't understand a bloody word, and you have to jump through hoops (i.e. reset it and keep resetting it, and get asked about your virus protection) for 30 minutes before you can RMA it.

one rule of thumb of netgear kit is to never buy one of their new models until it has at least one new firmware released. All of my netgear routers have been unusable till the first firmware release fixed the problems. All of them then have stayed up 24/7 till i have replaced them.

overall, netgear are good. They were a consumer side to bay networks who were very good, and then got taken over by nortel networks, who are still very good.

Netgear routers were also chosen by sky as the supplier of their sky broadband routers. Sign up to them and you'll get one free, or at least you used to.

23. Caesium

My cousin's router was taken out abd there isn't a telegraph pole in sight of his flat, he lives in a town centre!

And I wouldn't say that SKY selection was an endorsement, they supply Amstrad equipment

24. madvw

madvw Active Member

hahaha, thats too true!!