Astra VXR Showdown

Sean_S3

Reaction score
On my way to my old mans for Sunday dinner, waiting at the traffic lights to turn right onto a stretch of national. I noticed a red Astra VXR Race edition 2 cars back. I know the lad as i work with him and hes told me before about slaying some pretty fast cars in that thing. Anyway i turn right, he follows and we both went for it. all the way down the road the gap simply did not get bigger or smaller until we eventually had to slow down.

I know these things are very fast when they can get the power down and today it was bone dry and the road was perfectly straight and slightly downhill. I honestly believed he was playing about with me and not giving it 100% but i spoke to him afterwards and he was going full pelt too ! So overall i was pretty impressed that i was at least matching him. Thankfully i had the car remapped a few week back otherwise it would have bye bye astra.

Ive never come across a VXR out and about in the S3. Ive always wondered how the S3 would compare (same goes for a Focus ST).

What is a Race Edition Arsetra VXR then?

Arnt they just 237bhp though! Isnt your s3 remapped! Tbh i would have said you should have won.

think its more to consider weight and losses of 4 wheel drive with the s3 thats why.

Theres about 200 kg difference in weight, i didn't expect to have much of a chance to be honest !

Id have to agree with Sean here, a remapped S3 should be approx 250bhp, so 15bhp more than the Vauxhall, give or take. With the weight difference, you'd expect the Arsetra to be a bit quicker.

Last week on the way to work we had a go . Came off a roundabout onto a dual carriage way and i managed to pull away due to it been slightly damp. At work he said he was spinning in third ! They are very quick as long as the conditions are there.

mmm they are very very good
astra.jpg

i have a 225 s3 remapped, and i smoked a vxr last week, he actually pulled away from me from 30 - 65ish and after that he was rear view mirror material!! Adrenalin was amazing! LOL I HATE VAUXHALLS!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a 225 s3 remapped, and i smoked a vxr last week, he actually pulled away from me from 30 - 65ish and after that he was rear view mirror material!! Adrenalin was amazing! LOL I HATE VAUXHALLS!!!!!!!!!!!

yes but was the driver old/young/not bothered ? and the car his/leased/on a test drive/misfiring ?

try a trackday and then you'll know that everyone is driving like you ;)

Nice one Sean!!! ;)

St's are a breeze.... remapped they will be about the same as you, dont map up great for the engine size unfortunately.

VXR's - only proper run i had was against the Mini (grown) where i pretty much level pegged him, didn't think he was that good a driver in fairness...... in the S3 i beat a nurburg in the wet but only just, he must have been a good driver :)

Hmm, will have to hunt for one of these.

Seen a few around but always going to other way!!

Nice to hear sean...

Always going to be a tough opponent depending on conditions...

Im very happy with how it went ! Speaking to him today he was waiting on boost for me to floor it so i was lucky to even level peg. Im sure there will be a few more of these encounters in the future.

Yeah i can imagine the St isnt going to match a remapped S3, Weight wise its in between a VXR and the S3 but with a bit less power. I dont think a standard S3 would be too far behind...

Hopefully your mate has never heard of remapping...lol

Haha...

I'd love to see what they do go like once remapped...:bye:

Its a beast standard . Ive been in it and your constantly fighting the steering wheel to stay in a straight line, even when driving normal.
Like 1animal1 said, a remap with the icy weather coming would be asking for trouble !

I'd love to see someone out and about in a VXR for a play. I'm sooooo jealous! All the people I see driving them never, ever drive them hard and it's such a waste!

:sob:

You guy's do like a good play don't you :) I get to borrow a lot of 'exotic' cars due to the job, after driving various LP640's/430's/Gallardo's etc you soon realise there's no point in driving in quickly in anything but these, it's such an experience, my driving has complately mellowed now...anyway, I digress.......

I had the pleasure (saying it in the loosest term, here) to borrow Vauxhalls VXR 888 Astra (300bhp).

If it was dry, I can guarantee a mapped S3 wouldn't see which way it went! It was bonkers, the torque steer was hilarious, as was the remus exhaust with all the pops and bangs. A proper silly car for the money, slight shame about the image (or the reputation at least). I would have had one if it wasn't for missus wanting to wear a brown paper bag when she was in the car. A better performance car than the S3 (in the dry) but the S3's still a better all rounder, in my view.

Although some will say "the S3 isnt that quick" or "VAG PD diesels are the quickest cars ever" etc etc, considering its a 10 year old design, the S3 with a simple remap is still a potent machine.

Comparing like for like, the 8P S3 is the rival for the performance Astra, Focus, Megane etc. and it would say "ta ra" to all of them. And with a remap, it would say "feck off"! Even to that 888 version.

Comparing like for like, the 8P S3 is the rival for the performance Astra, Focus, Megane etc. and it would say "ta ra" to all of them. And with a remap, it would say "feck off"! Even to that 888 version.

For sure, I'd imagine with a remap the 8P S3 would pull it's pants down. What about weight though, I'm not sure what the differences are (Yes, I'm too lazt to Google)? I reckon the Astra must be a tad lighter so in a straight line drag it might be pretty even.

No. A friend had one and it was running 300 bhp and it was a stage 2 map. Full exhaust, panal filter, dv. The remus was wicked when at full throttle but sounds rubbish at normal speed.

yeah one passes me on bypass when im in traffic on way home from work, always passes on full throttle and it sounds awesome....

Agreed it should be the 8P S3 boys going up against the newer hatches, but its these little encounters that show the 8L is still pretty good with a simple remap.

8P S3 wise i think a similar powered 8L can keep up, there a bit heavier but has a better chassis. A remap will see 300bhp at least and then it would be a lot quicker than the competition.

Remus exhaust on the Nuremberg sounds awesome on full throttle !

Last edited:
I do agree, for a car of its age and technology it can still hold its own with the new stuff.

Now we're talking. an 8P S3 with remap!! They cost so much though. Very subtle too.

I proved in another thread, there's nothing between a mapped 8L and standard 8P S3. at motorway speeds anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah used prices are still ridiculous considering they have been out since 2006, very good residuals on these cars. Still you do see more 8P on the roads, Its very rare you see another 8L or at least it is where i live.

i think your find that the likes of the ST & VXR arent far off the weight of an S3. The older mk4 astra (GSI) / mk1 focus (RS) were much lighter not to mention the old shape CTR.

I m sure the ST & S3 are on par, i think aN S3 would be troubled with a VXR without a remap.

Although some will say "the S3 isnt that quick" or "VAG PD diesels are the quickest cars ever" etc etc, considering its a 10 year old design, the S3 with a simple remap is still a potent machine.

nice paragraph...

I like your style :)