1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ashtray woes....

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Dubturbo, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Dubturbo

Dubturbo VW Golf mk2 20VT / Audi A3 1.6 Sport

[Jul 16, 2008]
    I've heard that this is a bit of a known problem, but I had no luck with a search! Last week I was retrieving some change from the front ashtray, but when I went to close it again (which I always do gingerly because I heard they were troublesome!) it refused to catch, and would be permanently open now if I hadn't jammed it shut with some rubber bungs from my old Concert head unit :D

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I've had a poke around, but there's no visual evidence of anything broken.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. rickparmar

rickparmar va va voom

[Jul 16, 2008]
    you have to lift it nice and slowly without pressing it in
  4. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine Member

[Jul 16, 2008]
    give it love!!! lol. really really slowly, like you would lift a ladies boob!!!
  5. Leon

Leon Member

[Jul 16, 2008]
    Yes I had the same problem on my old 1.8T. It would fly open if I braked hard. I think it was just a bad design and I ended up buying a new one from Audi.
  6. Dubturbo

Dubturbo VW Golf mk2 20VT / Audi A3 1.6 Sport

[Jul 17, 2008]
    Ahh but you can't wait all night to close your ashtray...what if it gets a headache :laugh:

That's what I was afraid of. No point in buying another for it to do the same thing! the SEAT Leon has a similar dash, maybe a SEAT part would be an improvement?
  7. Audi-Max

Audi-Max Member

[Jul 21, 2008]
    i find to solve the problem to open it press it in and the catch will release and it opens and when shutting speed isnt an issue if you put your hand on the bottom side and lift it up for me its fine if i do it that way.