1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ashtray delete/non-smoker tray retrofit - Pic heavy

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by MartayMcFly, Mar 4, 2012.

1. grimp

grimp Member

Did this mod on my 8p3 the other day, didnt even have to remove the grabhandles, i used a socket and extender to loosen the one under the climatecontrol and the two in front of the shifter and just pushed the rubber within the gap :)
  2. Granta

Granta Member

Nice! Simple and effective!
  3. lgooch

lgooch Active Member

looking to do this when I get my hands on the wifes black edition. (waiting for plate change)
    currently the top of the ash tray is damaged and this extends into the black glossy trim on the gear lever.

Can the black trim be replaced or is it a whole new leather gaiter, gear nob and trim combined ?
  4. RS3dan

RS3dan Member

Sure the gear surround is separable from the gaiter etc as you can swap them out for the brushed aluminium or piano black - whether or not you can get the trim on it's own from audi I am not sure, but I've seen it sold separately in the classifieds and elsewhere fairly often
    lgooch likes this.
  5. Boydie

Boydie Boycie

I have the ashtray delete insert for sale if anyone is interested, never fitted - pm me please
    lgooch likes this.
  6. lgooch

lgooch Active Member

PM sent. I also don't think you can just buy the ashtray lid can you ?
  7. lgooch

lgooch Active Member

Damn

Immediate help required.

Got the grab handles off and want to take the air con unit out.

I have compressed the clips either side and the bottom of the air on unit is loose on the bottom but I just can get it out. It seems it is held in at the top as well. I have now tugged it too hard and I got it stuck.

Any help before it goes dark on how to get this damn thing out ?
  8. lgooch

lgooch Active Member

All sorted. Just gave it a FBY !

Just need to figure out how to sort the storage bin light out now. Got the light but no way of attaching it to the underside of the air con unit
  9. lgooch

lgooch Active Member

So I have the light bar at the top but no way of attaching it.

I need to buy the trim at the bottom of the pic. However what's the loose reflector bar in the middle. Do I need this as well ?
  10. Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton Member

Thanks for this thread. It was a great guide !
    This is mine !
    [​IMG]
  11. MattS3

MattS3 Member

I assume this would be the same process for the DSG equipped cars? (does the gearstick surround just pull out as per the manuals?)
  12. Sayam

Sayam Active Member

Yes open the ashtray and pull the surround up from the front
    MattS3 likes this.
  13. andyz

andyz New Member

hello everyone, just started the ashtray removal and when I took out the aircon unit a flexiable spring type thing came off too. It's what diverts the blower to windscreen, feet or vents etc.

Any idea where this might plug into? I'm fginding it very hard to see :(

Great site by the way, I'm lesrning far to much which is definitely a dangerous thing....

Many thanks

Andy
    Sandra likes this.
  14. owenjt

owenjt Member

Can anyone tell me if the part number quoted for the tray (8P0 863 301 A) will fit my 2010 8P3? Phoned the dealer today and they said it wasn't the right part.

Also they couldn't find the 12v socket with flap on the system (8P0 863 387 A) - is that the correct part number? And is it a complete unit or just the trim?
  15. sebseb8

sebseb8 New Member

You've got the correct numbers, the tray has 4PK on the end and the 12v socket has 6PS on the end. I think they both mean black. I've just fitted both to a 2008 facelift a3.

The socket is the complete unit not just the trim.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. owenjt

owenjt Member

Cheers - think I've managed to order the correct ones through the dealer now so will see when they come next week.
  17. Larschr

Larschr New Member

I performed this mod on my 09 8pa, I really like it. Nice with some extra storage room. Thanks for making this guide :) Best regards
  18. owenjt

owenjt Member

Great guide - just done mine without any issues and looks so much better and now I have somewhere to put my wallet etc!

Reading up about the red ambient lighting for this, am I right in saying that you just need to order part no 8P0 864 138 A, then slot it in and hook it up to the old ashtray connector?
  19. goodingj

goodingj New Member

After seeing this thread I decided to get one, I fitted mine on Monday night. Although you can't really see it in the photo I already have the red ambient light below the air-con unit.

IMG_4247.jpg
  20. Chris Eaton

Chris Eaton Member

I ordered the correct connection for the light in the ashtray and connected my own LEDs to it. From there I wired in a hidden switch and footwell lights
    (The centre light isn't as bright as it looks in the picture. Rubbish camera !)
    [​IMG]
  21. whinfs

whinfs Member

thankyou to MartayMcFly for the original how-to. ive just done this,but wouldnt have attempted it without the pics.
    i didnt need to remove the climate control - it was a bit fiddly but i had a socket extension long enough to reach the bolts

thankyou :thumbsup:
  22. RS3dan

RS3dan Member

Is that an aftermarket HU? How do you find it, and which one is it? Does it have S/N?
  23. Lukeyb

Lukeyb Member

Been looking for the part number for this for a while, short of dismantling the gf's dash, which she wouldnt let me do. I managed to pop it into place and get the sides popped into their grooves under the side knee bars without taking them out.

Wallet and phone fit perfectly :D

photo 3.jpg
  24. yorksphil

yorksphil New Member

a3 ash tray light.jpg Just done this mod, and now have somewhere to put phone etc....
    So it's done but what about the light , i am thinking..... so i takes the led and diffuser out of the old ashtray (even a red led )
    And glue the led to the diffuser and strengthen it on the corner using heat shrink to support it resulting in this (piccy).
    so all i've got to do is pull the wires and plug from the ashtray position upto the back /bottom of climate controls and find somewhere to cable tie it and i have a light.......

Looks underneath climate controls for a location......... and i see a lens/ diffuser! damned thing already has one!!!
    So if anyone needs an led to light up their's... i have one of sorts, and it plugs straight in!

maybe i should have noticed that i have the interior light pack, and checked first before making something!!

All good fun i suppose!:whistle2:
  25. dark_adi

dark_adi New Member

Hi, could You tell me what's the p/n of this B2D6DF9C-2B32-4779-94C1-B157D063E178.jpg
    I would like to have one but couldn't find.
  26. Lukeyb

Lukeyb Member

And mine already has the submarine light too, yay IMG_0031.jpg