1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As requested: How to use a polisher to remove swirls

Itguy Feb 2, 2014

1. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

i promised a little while ago that I would do this video showing the basics of claying, polishing etc.

so here you are! Our golf has a much more shiny bonnet now!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  2. lloydie1994

lloydie1994 Active Member

Fantastic Video mate, super job, is that a motorbike i can see in the corner of your garage?

3. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

You betcha. My wife's Vespa next to my duke 696

4. rams_s3

rams_s3 Active Member

Good video, you're good at the polishing and not too bad at film production!

5. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

Thanks, my first ever YouTube tutorial!

6. Oyster

Oyster Member

Great Video Mr Itguy thanks for sharing,tell me one thing, why blue masking tape and not the beige one?

7. TonyH38

TonyH38 Active Member

Thanks very informative and easy to watch

8. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

The blue masking tape is some 3M stuff that I bought from cleanyourcar.co.uk and its a bit thicker and doesn't leave any kind of sticky behind. Not sure of the exact differences but it just works a bit better.

Oyster likes this.
  9. Oyster

Oyster Member

Is this machine easy to use? looks similar to a angle grinder which was my trade mark.

10. Ecosphere

Ecosphere Member

Great for a first Youtube tutorial Will.
    Given your obvious expertise, would be interested to know what treatments you have planned for the S3 in March.

11. veeeight

veeeight I am a very pretty girl VCDS Map User Black Edition

That G220 is a dual-action machine, so it differs from an angle grinder which is just orbital.

Having said that, a DA machine is much safer in the hands of a beginner, the chances of burnishing or overheating the lacquer are reduced with a DA, much easier to do damage with an orbital machine.

The pros will always choose an orbital, as they can achieve results quicker (but riskier for the beginner, obviously) - but having said all that the Audi clear coat is one of the hardest in the industry. To contrast, if you owned a brand new Civic - you just wouldn't wash it, the clear coat is that soft it would fall off.

Oyster likes this.
  12. Itguy

Itguy Well-Known Member

Not sure what I will need to do with the s3 yet. Obviously I haven't ordered life shine or anything from the dealer so it will need sealing as a minimum. Really depends how it looks when I get it.

I'm tempted to try a ceramic coat but haven't applied one before so would need to gen up first