Arrrrgh! A3 1.9 TDI injector nightmare!!!!!!

WalterRohrl

Reaction score
So, I bought a used Injector for £25 off Ebay, thought I'd scored a bargain.

Sought advice on here about rocker cover gasket, turns out I'd watched a YouTube video of the wrong engine, mine you didn't have to remove the rocker cover to change the injector after all :beee:

So, did the oil flush and filter change and put new oil in.

Then went to fit the injector, but noticed that Cyl 3 injector is different to Cyl 1 injector!!

I couldnae buy luck!

Anyone know anywhere that I'll get a no3 injector cheap?

You get what you pay for

Go to a parts store

CAM00287CAM00286

Cyl 1 injector has unions in V-formation.

Cyl 3 injector has unions running east-west.

*facepalm*

I'm not sure Jim, all I know is that its non-functioning. Wires seem in good order.

BTW, what will be the horsepower of my engine, factory, is it 90bhp?

Also, is mine an ASV engine code?

It's a non PD, either 90 or 110 bhp engine, can't tell from the pictures.

Have a look at the sticker on the 1st page of the service book or the data sticker in the spare wheel compartment for your engine code. If you can't find it I can give you more info if you send me your reg via PM.

There's not much to go wrong with your injectors, they are not electrical, just a pressure valve. How have you diagnosed a faulty injector and how do you know it's cylinder 3?

A friend has a Snap On ECU computer thing, told us no3 injector fault.

From your reg, it's a 110 bhp ASV engine.

Without knowing what the fault code number or description was its hard to comment further. Did you note the fault number down?

If not I would get it scanned again and note down all the info it gives. I suspect it might be a needle lift sensor issue, but that would cause bad fuel economy and rough running.

what are your symptoms?

Oh, the car runs, but was like a juddering clatterbus. Slow as death, gutless, blowing occasional white smoke puffs.

I bought it for £500, its had a tough life, but I'd like to make it run correctly, and I'll need to do it on the cheap, unfortunately.

I didn't note all of the ECU fault info unfortunately, I'll try to do that. Why will that info help?

I also need to get either a dual mass or a solid state conversion clutch and flywheel, cos it judders badly.

Oh, the car runs, but was like a juddering clatterbus. Slow as death, gutless, blowing occasional white smoke puffs.

I bought it for £500, its had a tough life, but I'd like to make it run correctly, and I'll need to do it on the cheap, unfortunately.

I didn't note all of the ECU fault info unfortunately, I'll try to do that. Why will that info help?

The code will narrow down the problem and hopefully avoid spending out on parts that aren't necessary.

If for example the code is for an open circuit to injector 3 needle lift sensor (G80), this is often a broken wire or dirty connector and can be a nice cheap fix.

Reactions: WalterRohrl
Sweet. If I can get connected again easy enough, I'll get in touch with the code. Meantime, I'll hope I can exchange the ebay injector I bought for the correct one.

Jim, do you know the correct part number for the no3 injector that I need please?

038 130 202E - is coming up for your engine code. Around £430 from an Audi dealer.

That's pretty depressing news. £430 is impossible for me at the present time.

What other possible options do I have? I have a non-functioning one, can they be refurbished?

That's pretty depressing news. £430 is impossible for me at the present time.

What other possible options do I have? I have a non-functioning one, can they be refurbished?

Second hand injector is your best bet.

I would still revisit that fault code though as you don't wan ago throwing new injectors at it if it's a wiring fault or pump issue.

Reactions: WalterRohrl
Yeah, I'm gonna do that. Thanks for your help. Any links to cheap 038 130 202E injector with needle lift sensor, please point me towards it!

Result! I got a no3 injector via a mate on another forum, free of charge! Picked it up this afternoon, gonna get it fitted tomorrow.