1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armrest Lid - Repair ?

JohnboyC Feb 26, 2010

1. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

My armrest lid front catch has broken....and as its a black leather topped Armrest its £65.00 just for the lid at my local Audi Dealer....

I was wondering :idea: if the leather top bit of the lid can actually be taken off, and refitted to another good lid .....the reason I ask is that 2nd hand "black cloth" lids seem to go on e-bay for about £20 to £30 as leather topped lids hardly ever appea on e-bay , if I bought a cloth topped lid, could I simply replace the cloth top of the lid with my leather one (maybe with the help of some some araldite)....

OR should I stop being a tight ar$e and go and just buy a lid from Audi ....:ermm:

2. pjmspeedy

pjmspeedy Dude, what's mine say ?

For the time it's going to take in getting your leather off without damaging it and then the time in fixing it to the cloth one you might as just go to the dealer. If you do the swap it may not turn out that great after all and you would have just ruined the cloth one too! Seems a lot of effort to save £30 notes.... so like you said "stop being a tight ar$e"

board paul likes this.
  3. way318

way318 Active Member

Same thing has happened to mine last week.

I thought that it might of been possible to just change the front catch, may be not.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  4. mattyboyc

mattyboyc B6 Veteran Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

Yep mines broke too:crying:

5. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

Its not possible to repair the lid.....its a new lid time.....

Top tip is not to allow the lid to drop closed, but to gently lower it shut....in that way the completely **** design does not get "stressed" by the shock closure

6. mattyboyc

:applaus:

7. way318

way318 Active Member

Think I'll leave it for now, as it not a major issue, plus I don't really use it to store anything in.

8. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

John why not buy a new one this time, and try and take your broken leather lid off. If thats a success then you could buy a cheap fabric lid and try it, and then keep it as a spare, or sell it on. I'm sure you would have no problems selling a black leather lid!

9. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

Yes James....think I will do that - good idea....:icon_thumright:

10. rjm180

rjm180 Active Member

If i get a new lid from Audi, are these lids easy to change? The front latch/catch on mine has broken.

11. VagCabby

VagCabby Active Member

I beg to differ about it not being possible to fix the catch. When I bought my cab a year ago mine was also broken so I set about fixing it. I went to my local scrappy and looked for an a4 but they didn't have any but I did find an a8 with a very tatty arm rest with the catch in tact. I took just the catch from the a8, the a8 catch was wider than the a4 one so I have to do abit of trimming but I fitted it in the and and it works as it should do and has lasted me 9 months so far with no issues. The lid of the on the arm rest comes off by pulling it when open and slightly wiggling it. The leather/fabric parts of the armrest are simply glued in 6 places to the actual plastic lid so it is also possible to just swap these parts over. It's simple Enoch to remove if you lever it gently off with a knife type object. Hope this helps

12. 666markyboy

666markyboy Well-Known Member

fixed mine with 2 small strips of velcro and superglue lol

13. 666markyboy

666markyboy Well-Known Member

or you could use a small magnet and a strip of steel...... plenty of other ways other than fixing the origional clip

14. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

Mine is velcro'd on too. It's hard to open, but we never used it anyway, the velcro just stops it flopping about.

15. Neilb1

Neilb1 Member

Both the hindges are broken in mine so I will need a new lid from somewere

16. crazy88

crazy88 Loving the anonymity

Mine too, which is why it's Velcro'd on. I couldn't be bothered trying to fix both the catch and hinges. Maybe one day I'll look at fixing it or keep an eye out for a bargain, but for now the velcro works well as I love it being an arm rest, but not so bothered about it being a storage place.

17. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics Supporter Team V6 quattro Audi A8 Audi S8 Team Akoya saloon TDi

Is the leather/cloth section of the arm rest screwed on to the lid?

EDIT:=- Ignore that. They are on the B5 but not on the B6s.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  18. Neilb1

Neilb1 Member

No glued

19. JasonS

JasonS Member VCDS Map User

I replaced the broken clip on mine with a plastic magnetic clasp (sprayed satin black).

20. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

21. AudidriverA4

AudidriverA4 Member

22. Funkyfin2000

Funkyfin2000 Member

Might do Velcro on mine!

23. southylad

southylad Active Member

Mine is broken aswell was thinking along same lines Velcro or magnet catch when I get round to it

24. T0m

T0m Active Member

RJM180 - The lids are am easy to remove open it fully you'll see the two curved legs that fit into the base just squeeze them together, noting you'll have to use some force and they'll pop out and the lid should be free!!

25. rjm180

rjm180 Active Member

TOm, thanks. Next time I get 10 mins I'll give it a go. Cheers mate.

26. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

will get a pic tomoz

27. MattS5

MattS5 Active Member

Great stuff, will be good to see a tidy fix for this problem.
    I've broken 2 now in 5 years, the last lid cost £30 but Audi seem to have increased the price over the last 3 years and now want £90 for the part.
    Ouch.

28. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

here is what i did to mine works very well

[​IMG]

29. AudidriverA4

AudidriverA4 Member

Cheers Simon

Least I know where to fit them now :thumbsup:

30. MattS5

MattS5 Active Member

Looks a good solution, just need to cut my drinks holder to allow space to recess them.
    Did you screw them in and just glue the metal strip to the lid?

31. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

screwed both mate the screws that come with them are small and as i did the lid ones i just did them slow so i could fill if they was going to pop though the cloth but you cant evan tell they are there

32. MattS5

MattS5 Active Member

I've just dug out the receipt, it was actually £60, not £30, so just a 50% price increase, not a 200%.......still a bloody rip off.

The black leather part no. is A8E0 864 245 M8 6R If anyone needs it.

33. sunnyyy

sunnyyy New Member

34. Ajwiggy

Ajwiggy Just spit ballin, its not all gunna be gold!

Heres my effort, total cost £free, I had an old mag cupboard catch knokin around in a draw :yes:

catch.jpg

catch2.jpg

35. SmoothAssault

SmoothAssault Will design for mods

That's a very tidy looking fix! Nice job!

36. crazyjay91

crazyjay91 If in Doubt, FLAT OUT!

Thanks for this chaps! I ordered two black ones from ebay and fitted them at the weekend.. First time I've ever been able to put my armrest up without emptying the contents into the back of my car!!

p.s. for anyone fitting them, drill a couple pillot holes first!

37. Gudwin

Gudwin New Member

38. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

These mods were done as these parts were not available 5 years ago when the thread started.

These days you can buy complete chinese replica lids for about £15 and a pretty good also.

39. leegsi

leegsi Active Member

How does it all go together and where can you get a spring?

40. mattyboyc

I was given one of those cheap £15 Chinese lids and it didn't fit, the curved hinges were too short and the lugs for the holes were in a completely different location.