1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armrest LED's

Discussion in 'Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)' started by alpesh26, Aug 3, 2011.

1. alpesh26

alpesh26 Member

I've managed to source a front centre armrest for my A4 and it has the lead which powers the little red LED. As I will be retrofitting the armrest, where would be the best place to get power to the LED (ideally without having to remove the whole centre console)?

The catch was broken and missing on the armrest so I used those magnets you get for kitchen cabinets and made a magnetic catch :p. It's not very OEM, but it does the job!
  2. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

not sure how your dash is, but the cig lighter feed seems a good point. On my A3 im planning to fit something similar but we are taking the feed from the cig lighter because it will illuminate when my sidelights automatically go on. (Cig lighter is linked to interior lights and sidelights so the bezel around it illuminates when the lights come on)

You then need to just ground a wire to a bolt on the chassis or again you can use the ground for the cig lighter.
  3. alpesh26

alpesh26 Member

I was thinking cigarette lighter too. There is a panel in the recess for the handbrake which may reveal some wiring. The vehicle the armrest came out from had a lead coming from further down the centre console but I couldn't trace the wire down far enough
  4. Farhan

Farhan Active Member

Can you grab me a photo of your cig lighter and possibly a generic view of your dash. That way i can see of any routes to feed the wire.

My cig lighter unit is pretty simple to remove, I just take the lighter out and tug at the holder and it reveals the wires.

For connectors you can use scotch connectors which are the easiest, Just means placing the cig lighter wire in the scotch connector and the new led wire and pushing the connector closed. It will shave a bit of the wire casing off and make a good safe connection.
  5. alpesh26

alpesh26 Member

Just taken a few pics, the quality isn't great (underground car park and iPhone camera)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know how to get the cover off from underneath the handbrake handle?
  6. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

I might be wrong but isn't access done by removing the rear ashtray (it just pulls out)?
  7. alpesh26

alpesh26 Member

Yes it is for the mounting bracket, i'm trying to get access to the electrics of the cig lighter to power the armrest LED. I'm also extremely jealous of your car Nathan!
  8. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

Cheers mate, I'm flattered. I'm sure it won't take you long to get your car looking like mine :laugh:

Nothing under the front ashtray? Failing that I assume you have to remvoe the centre console.
  9. alpesh26

alpesh26 Member

It's getting there, bit by bit... :happy:. I'm thinking RS4 RARB next or maybe a Votex diffuser

Good point, I has the front ashtray out to wrap it and I remember pulling off a connector as there is a little LED inside the ashtray, i'll tap into that and pull the cable through. Cheers!
  10. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

front ashtray or cig lighter
    i usaly got for the ashtray
  11. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

I thought about the Votex and couldn't make up my mind. However, you can't go wrong getting an RS4 RARB :)
  12. auroan

auroan Active Member

There is already a feed there for the armrest...... well there was when I retro fitted mine
  13. alpesh26

alpesh26 Member

I had a quick look last night but couldn't find anything, I took off the gear stick surround, the little hatch in the recess under the handbrake (this pushes out from behind in case anyone wants to know) and the velvet mat in the storage area but there was no spare leads/connectors...typical Audi consistency :shrug: . I'll tap into the ashtray light wires and feed it back, might as well feed my ipod and aux wires whilst im at it!
  14. auroan

auroan Active Member

Mine was tucked away infront of the rear ashtray. Only found it after I had the centre tunnel console up.
  15. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

what does this LED look like in the Arm rest? im quiet curious as i have just done my Footwells and under the climate control unit with red ambient leds that light up at night when the lights are switched on.
  16. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

TBH its usually there tucked away incase spec'd as mine was, but if not take it from ashtray, coat hanger, sorted.

As for how it looks, its a nice addition tbh, bright enough to see whats in there, on my list as are the other 1000 things lol.
  17. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

LOL!

oh my armrest was retrofitted so i doubt i would have any wires going there... i have some Red LEDs left over from the other installs i was doing so could just find a way of mounting it in the arm rest. was also thinking i could even have one under the armrest to light up the cup holder area??
  18. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Sorry should of been clearer, I meant was in my S4 B6, its not part of the 8P, sut could retrofit it as I did to my S4 as armrest didnt have so bought & made it fit :)
  19. Ash187

Ash187 Audi Retrofitter

did you buy the oem LED unit or did you just fit in a red led and mount it (drill a hole for it)?
  20. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

Grabbed an oem version before I sold the armrest it came on lol.
  21. alpesh26

alpesh26 Member

I'll try and get a picture of it tomorrow in the dark if you want. How did you get the lights under the climae control? Is it just an A3 thing?
  22. RMH1A4cab

RMH1A4cab I'm in Cruise control

Can you also post pictures of these mods .