ARE STANDARD BRAKES THAT BAD???

CHRISS3

Reaction score
hi guys i couldnt help but read the last post on how bad the standard brakes are ,,, my s3 is standard and i have to admit there not all that but i thought its cos i need back discs and pads ,,, reading around you guys slate the s3 brakes so im getting worried now cos i was gonna chip my s3 this week i thought the brakes would be ok but now im having second thoughts have all you guys with chipped s3's changed your brakes?

thanks

I dont think there particularly bad, they do suffer from heat but otherwise i find them sufficient to stop my stanndard 225 no problem.

The standard are ok. I haven't changed mine and I'm still alive after a remap. I suppose it depends how you drive. Anything over 8 tenths will show up their weaknesses, but for standard driving and a quick blast about they're sufficient. However, when I do *need* new discs and pads I will be uprating the setup in some fashion.

I'd had a couple of hair raising moments where nearly driving into the back of people. partially to driving way too fast but scared myself enough to upgrade and I got a set of Brembo's for a decent price!

normal breaking is fine.

Breaking from 100mph-0 a few times in quick succession with a passenger and a bootload is scary.

I a couple of times had to break from 130mph to something like 60mph
and I guess that was when my brakes got ****** :sadlike:

Now since I don't want this to happen again I will buy better brakes and try to avoid breaking like that!

It seems different cars vary for some reason. Mine as stock were awful, litterally would nto stop you frolm say 50mph into a roundabout.......you'd go out 10ft, there seemed to be something wrong but all was OK per a check. I think there may be some rogue pads out there form audi or something.

The brembos I have are streets ahead.

The first thing i noticed when taking my S3 for a test drive was PANTS BRAKES!!!

If i had not of read previous threads about them, it would of stopped me buying my beast!

My stock brakes werent that bad, however i replaced discs and pads with mintex parts anyway, and theyve been faultless-i dont do track days but occasionally i do need to brake at quite high speeds, an no probs

i went from a 1989 crx to the 02 S3 and the brakes felt a world apart, I was always overbraking the S3 and they felt good. 3 years on and they dont feel as good as my wifes new mk5 golf but I think thats due to me now knowing the feel of the brakes / brake pedal.

Ever tried braking with your left foot ???? you certainly stop quick then.

Id say for average driving they are fine, if your going to race about braking hard into corners for a number of miles then you may need to upgrade them.
Track days then to take it seriously then they need a upgrade, as do a lot of cars.

fingermouse said:
Ever tried braking with your left foot ???? you certainly stop quick then.

yes!:faint: Nearly went through the windscreen. Funny though

As for the standard brakes there ok for normal pottering about but after a bit of hardcore they fade really quickly. A few times i've stopped 10ft further than i REALLY wanted to. Luckily there was nothing to ram into.