1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are all symphony II radios the same?

chazza55 Jul 10, 2012

1. chazza55

chazza55 got an S3 8L: living the dream

Quick question (i hope):

I have an S3 8l (facelift) 51 plate with bose. The radio for this is the Symphony II

My CD on my bose symphony II radio has gone faulty. I used to have my dension ipod connected to it and that no longer words because the fault with the CD side of the unit.

My questions is: I see a lot of symphony II units on ebay for a range of prices but are not necessarily from a facelift 8L S3.........So is there a difference in them other than the fascia? (I can use my current fascia on a new radio just by swapping them.)

So as long as the one i buy has its code, is there any reason not to buy say a Symphony II for an A4 of the same age? The connection look identical.

Will all work with my Bose system or does the one i get have to have been from a bose system too? (surely its just using special pre-out connections for the bose)?

Any input would be appreciated!

2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You just need to ensure it is on an ISO connection and not Quadlock, although I think all Symph II's are ISO, so other than the fascia they are identical. Doesn't matter if it's Bose or not as all Audi HU's are identical, just a coding to have the Bose welcome on or off when you turn the unit on.

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

Be very careful as I swapped a fascia years back on a unit for my S3 8L & it failed to work at all, as I assume you mean the whole front part including the pcb, possibly the front & rear are linked as in paired together, maybe someone with more experience on that particular unit can input.

4. chazza55

chazza55 got an S3 8L: living the dream

ah yeah - forgot it has the pcb with it. dammit.....hmmmm may have an option buy one from a 2002 s3 so may be safest to go that route.

cheers for the input

5. s8craig

s8craig Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

AFAIK only the A3 8P symphony/chorus/concert II units are different, 8P types as they used the can gateway, first Audi besides the A8 in 2003 to do so.