ARBs Help

What are the preferred choice of aftermarket dampers these days?

Josh

Josh

I've got Bilstein B8's waiting to go on my S3 one the rest of my suspension bits arrive - they seem to get very good reviews.

Koni FSD's are another option

Josh

It depends on the far in my view...it's not a 'one size fit's all' answer.

If S3, then Bilstein B8s, H&R springs, adjustable tie bars and ARBs to choice, work really well.

If A3, then I'd look differently.
Probably H&R or Eibach springs with some form of adjustable dampers (I prefer the rear dampers much stiffer than the fronts on a FWD car) and perhaps ARBs on top.

Does your s3 comment aplly to my a3, as its quattro to. will that set up bring the handling above any over hot hatch on sale.

Does your s3 comment aplly to my a3, as its quattro to. will that set up bring the handling above any over hot hatch on sale.

Yeah, 1.8Tq and S3 are interchangable with the basics, but I'm not sure if you can get as much negative camber on the front, compared to the S3.

But, springs, dampers, ARBs, tie-bars etc are all common.

As for getting the handling to a level above any other hot hatch...that's a tough one.
Don't forget the S3 is 10 years old now...and although you can vastly improve the chassis, you can't work miracles...and some 'newer' cars just have a better chassis out of the box.

For example, my S3 when fully sorted felt similar to a bog standard Mk5 Golf GTI - the GTI is that good.

That being said, if you do change the suspension to some quality replacements, it'll certainly be up there with the good ones....but will you ever make a road going A3/S3 out-handle a Clio Trophy, Megane R26R etc? No. I doubt it.

It depends on the far in my view...it's not a 'one size fit's all' answer.

If S3, then Bilstein B8s, H&R springs, adjustable tie bars and ARBs to choice, work really well.

Just finished getting my set up finally completed (with many thanks to Starperformance and Ess for work and advice).

Now got Bilstein B8s, H&R springs, adjustable tie bars and Neuspeed 22mm front and R32 19mm rear ARBs.

feels fantastic!

The car came with the H&R springs already on, and the rest i did in essentially 2 steps

1: Bilstein sprints + tie bars £868.70 (inc fitting)

2: Neuspeed ARB (22mm)159.50 + 11.30 (delivery) (+vat)
R32 19mm rear 173.04
4-wheel alignment
plus labour and various bushes £52.60
+ vat
it also needed front (R+L) connecting links

Total = approx £1500-1600 (thats covers pretty much everything)

the labour probably would have been cheaper if it was done in one go.

all the parts were pretty shot so needed doing anyway

they should hopefully only need doing the once, so thought may as well do them right first time