1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ARB Fitting again... - sorry

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by audi18tdan, Apr 15, 2009.

1. audi18tdan

audi18tdan Member

[Apr 15, 2009]
    Just wanted to clarrify some things before attemting to fit new front ARB:

1. what's involved when just swinging the subframe down rather than taking subframe off as i don't fancy having to do that especially as other things have to be taken off also for this?

2. Did you replace any of the stretch bolts on the subframe, if so where did you get them from?

3. What tools did you use and did you rely on any torque settings, if so what were they?

4. What set would you recommend - eibach (heard these can still knock on the lower arm) or H+R (these qare adjustable but don't come with mounts for rear or droplinks?

Many Thanks in advance
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 27, 2015]

3. abdus

abdus Top Gear VCDS Map User

[Apr 15, 2009]
  4. audi18tdan

audi18tdan Member

[Apr 15, 2009]
    Hi abdus, many thanks for that.

I will just use those instructions but will miss out the parts about removing steering rack and will just loosen the subframe bolts and lever the arb out from under i guess.

Atleast those give me some idea

5. abdus

abdus Top Gear VCDS Map User

6. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Apr 15, 2009]
    You have to remove the steering rack to subframe bolts to be able to lower the subframe. The steering rack remains insitu attached to the steering column.

I replaced the subframe bolts last time I had it out. They are cheap. I've not heard of them breaking or loosening if reusing, so it's up to you.
    Make sure you have a good strong socket. I broken 2 tightening them and ended buying an impact socket. You'll need a good length breaker bar too as that last 90° turn is difficult with a normal rachet or spanner.

Some torque wrench settings:
    Droplink to wishbone - 15Nm + further 90° turn
    Droplink to ARB - 15Nm + further 90° turn
    ARB to subframe - 25Nm
    Dogbone to subframe - 20 Nm + further 90° turn
    Dogbone to gearbox Bolts - 40 Nm + further 90° turn
    Subframe to chassis bolts - Bolt - 100 Nm + further 90° turn
  7. audi18tdan

audi18tdan Member

[Apr 15, 2009]
    Hi HTC,

cheers for that, so if i was to just drop the subframe abit rather than completely remove i will need to remove/loosen off the bolts?

Also with these bolts would you recommend using a long torque wrench to tighten them to full torque or will breaker bar and then torque them up??

Also what's the 90degree turn all about?

Also nice one for the torque settings, i will get one for this job me thinks.

8. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Apr 15, 2009]
    Once the subframe bolts and steering rack bolts are out, the subframe will hang from the wishbones. I guess you could loosen the bolts so it doesn't hange, but I don't know if you'd have enough clearance to get the arb out.
    It's better to disconnect the rack from the subframe otherwise you would have to open the rack hydraulic lines, which is more hassle.

90° = 1/4 of a turn. You tighten to the specified torque and then turn the bolt a further quarrter turn. This is generally the part where the bolt stretches to clamp tight.
    Use what ever wrench you want. A long torque wrench should be fine.
  9. audi18tdan

audi18tdan Member

[Apr 15, 2009]
    Hi HTC,

yeah that makes more sense now, i will prob do this but will decided when i'm under the car and see if i can do without doing that.

Cheers