1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aquaplane...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by pure, Aug 25, 2004.

1. pure

pure Member

I can't decide if I need new tyres or wether my camber/toe settings are causing me to aquaplane, I seem to be doing it an awefull lot on the motorway.

When I had a 225 TT last week it was fine, the tires were new tho, where as I have about 4mm tread left.

Any1 else with a "fast road" setup find the car tends to lunge a bit through water on the motorway?

To be honest I think I just need some new tyres!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

Fast road suspension settings will upset the straight line ability of the car, especially in standing water, as your contact patch is reduced.

I guess if your tyres are at the wear indicators that won't help, but having driven Glen's car (Ess_Three) though a fairly substantial rainstorm with tyres in good condition, I can report that a rudder may be a useful next modification.

The standard TT will have a very flat neutral tyre position, increasing contact patch and therefore stability. Guess it's a compromise for the added handling benefit.

4. neil.c

neil.c Senior

Not forgetting that we have had a few heavy downpours lately which have overwhelmed all roads.