1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

APY Starting problem when warm

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by LordNelson, Sep 16, 2010.

1. LordNelson

LordNelson Member

[Sep 16, 2010]
    HI Folkes,

My 2000 APY S3 has developed a problem which has been getting worse over the last 2-3 months.
    My problem is when the engine is warm. If i turn off the ignition and then try to start it again, It will turn over but not fire.
    Eventually it will fire, but then die again.
    and when it does eventually start, it will kick out a plume of smoke, idle at about 1500rpm and be lumpy. the smoke also smells like it is overfuelling.
    It also sound like there is a slight missfire.

When the car is cold, it will fire up without hesitation....no probs. It will also drive fine with no reason or cause for concern.

I have it in the garage at the min having a service and a diagnostic, but i dont know whether to trust them as its first time i have used them.
    So i would like to be clued up for when they call me back telling me that all manor of things need to be changed

As usual, all help is massively appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

[Sep 16, 2010]
    Firstly, can you get a user on here to VAG COM it? That's a good way to get a second, and most importantly unbiased, opinion.

Failing that, take it to another garage to get a second opinion.

Warm starting issues are most commonly caused on the 1.8T by the coolant temperature sensor. Not expensive, and easy to fit, so I would be starting with that.

The CTS controls fuel mixture to a degree by telling the ECU is the engine is warm or cold. If cold, it will enrich the mixture to help the engine to run until warm, where the CTS feed tells the ECU the engine is warm.

If busted, you can imagine what problems it can cause - if the CTS is inoperable or telling the ECU that the engine is colder than it is, you will have fuelling problems.

Best bet with this is to use the climate control trick. See here: AudiWorld Tech Articles

Coolant temp is number 51.

This will show you what reading the ECU is getting from the CTS. It should be around 90.
  4. LordNelson

LordNelson Member

[Sep 16, 2010]
    Cheers Welly,

Il see what the garage come up with....if they dont come up with the CTS, il have a bash at changing it at the weekend.....Il prob change the coil packs as well....just to renew them as i have no idea how old they are.
  5. S3PEG

S3PEG Member

[Sep 16, 2010]
    I had a similar problem... turned out to be the rocker cover gasket letting oil into one of the spark plugs. Cheap and easy.. Good luck!
  6. Welly

[Sep 16, 2010]
    Thats what we like, a good old school mechanical problem! Few and far between these days! lol

Love your work! :thumbsup:
  7. LordNelson

LordNelson Member

[Sep 16, 2010]
    Well they ran a diagnostic on it and it came up with the temp sensor....so they have changed it and ssay everything is hunky dory now.
    £190 lighter for an Intermedite service, diagnostic and to change the sensor. (£50 for the sensor and labour though)
    Gutted as i could have got one for £20 and done it myself.
    Oh well......Il report back tomorro to see if its really been fixed.
  8. S3KO4

S3KO4 Member

[Sep 16, 2010]
    £190 for what, you could have got a good VAG com for £60 on eBay and the sender for under £20.. has your fuel filter ever been changed?
  9. LordNelson

LordNelson Member

[Sep 17, 2010]
    £100 - Service
    £40 - Diagnostic
    £50 - Supply and fit CTS....I know!!!!!

To be honest, I sent it there cos it desperately needed doing and i had no time to do it myself. Was fed up with having to wait till the car cooled down for it to start.
    Plus, the overfuelling cos poss damage the CAT etc.
  10. Welly

[Sep 17, 2010]
    Bingo. :thumbsup:

Bit of a bummer on the cost though.... But at least it's done.