APR

ha3t

Reaction score
I'm gonna get my t sport chipped and may go with APR simply because of the 20% discount at the moment.

I just wanted to know what people thought of their stuff in relation to Oettinger and AMD (my preferred choices if finances didn't dictate). Are they similar in general driving feeling, smoothness of acceleration etc.

The guy I spoke to about the APR tuning said I'd be looking at 195 bhp and 240 lbs of torque. But looking on the websit of star performance (APR dealer)they seem to put it at 190bhp and around 210 lbs of torque. They have a dyno graph showing 186bhp abd 197 lbs of torque on a 1998 a3. So I'd be interested to know if anyone has had their APR'd car dynoed. I'm confused cos 240 lbs of torque sounded great but 197 lbs is a bit less appealing really. I know its not all about figures but I would like an indication of what I'm getting.

Also I was told that I can't get the APR serial port tuning because mine is a 1998 car. Does that mean I couldn't get serial port tuning elsewhere such as Revo or AMD too. I'd prefer the serial port tuning if available by another tuner.

[ QUOTE ]
ha3t said:
I'm gonna get my t sport chipped and may go with APR simply because of the 20% discount at the moment.

I just wanted to know what people thought of their stuff in relation to Oettinger and AMD (my preferred choices if finances didn't dictate). Are they similar in general driving feeling, smoothness of acceleration etc.

The guy I spoke to about the APR tuning said I'd be looking at 195 bhp and 240 lbs of torque. But looking on the websit of star performance (APR dealer)they seem to put it at 190bhp and around 210 lbs of torque. They have a dyno graph showing 186bhp abd 197 lbs of torque on a 1998 a3. So I'd be interested to know if anyone has had their APR'd car dynoed. I'm confused cos 240 lbs of torque sounded great but 197 lbs is a bit less appealing really. I know its not all about figures but I would like an indication of what I'm getting.

Also I was told that I can't get the APR serial port tuning because mine is a 1998 car. Does that mean I couldn't get serial port tuning elsewhere such as Revo or AMD too. I'd prefer the serial port tuning if available by another tuner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serial port tuning is only available on later model cars. The ECU in the AGU coded 1.8T is not capable of this.

Rich

Sorry not very technical! what is serial port tuning?

is that where they plug the computer into the odb2 port in your car? instead of putting a chip on the ecu?

[ QUOTE ]
Audi A3 1.8TS said:
Sorry not very technical! what is serial port tuning?

is that where they plug the computer into the odb2 port in your car? instead of putting a chip on the ecu?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct

Surely someone on here has had a 1.8t APR'd- I really would like to hear about your experience. Anyone had theirs rolling roaded.
I know it's not all about figures but I would like to know what APR performance is like so as to compare with Oettinger and AMD.
Cheers.

I've got optimax remap on my s3, I'm very happy with it.

I got the APR 6 Hour trial today (Optimax programme) and I am very happy with it, before I go for the full version, are there any major issues with doing this upgrade ie. notifying insurance, warranty claims etc.? how much did you guys pay for the standard upgrade?

Ant

I need some advice on how to interpret and compare dyno plots for torque especially.
I saw one on the Star performance for a 1998 a3 like mine. It was APR 190 bhp/197lbs torque(4400rpm). Then I had a look at an oettinger one on their website. It was something like 195 bhp/ 213lbs torque(3400rpm).
So regarding the torque which I suppose is more important in everyday driving- how do the two peak torque figures compare. Am I right in thinking the Oettinger accelerates faster than APR but the APR continues to climb through higher revs than the oettinger.
And which, therefore, should be quicker from 0-60mph say. Or between 30-50mph perhaps.

[ QUOTE ]
ha3t said:
I need some advice on how to interpret and compare dyno plots for torque especially.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't really compare 2 graphs from different rollers and in this case different cars.

The only useful comparison is same car, same day, same rollers with the different software - not practically possible though. You could drive 2 cars similarly equipped, but again difficult.

I think that with the software upgrades you get, in real terms, much the same from different companies. APR and AmD I can personally reccommend, but I doubt there would be a huge power difference between them or other competitors.

You can make a dyno graph read anything you like....

is the APR discount still on? are all centres in the uk doing it?

how does the optimax program differ from the standard stage 1 program?