APR stage III with stock catback???

shamrock

Reaction score
I have recently purchased the stage III kit from APR for my 2008 S3. I have a question as to what catback modification is necessary to compliment the kit. As of now I cannot purchase an upgraded catback (ex. miltek) because in order to do so I would need to import it and the emission's law in my country won't allow it. Even if they could be persuaded the tax on the catback would be devastating. The laws on car modifications here are crazy. I could be fined for driving 19 inch rims instead of 18; things are so strict. That leaves me with two options; fabricating the catback here or sticking with stock. As to the first option I am not sure as to the reliabilty of having it built to fit my car. The question is whether I can stick with the stock catback and fabricate the downpipe? What would be the implications of this? Would the car run the same? Overheat? Would I be causing any damage and if not would I be utilizing the the full power of the kit? Do I need an upgraded catback?

Thanks

Hi Mate,
What bhp is the APR stage 3? I ran my Revo stage 2+ for a month or so on the standard exhaust whilst waiting for the Miltek cat back exhaust to turn up! The revo agent phoned Revo and were given revised start setting to use just to be on the safe side, possibly somewhere between full stage 2+ and stage 2. Once my Miltek was fitted they turned up the settings again for me.

What I found was the stock exhaust was working well and sounded great whilst not as loud as the miltek but not as restrictive as I expected! There were no problems with over heating or restrictive air flow but as I said above the settings were turned down slightly to act as a safety margin
It may be worth a go to see what you think?

What country are you in? Is it possible to vist another country at a later date and arrange a new exhaust fitted then?
Good luck with your Quest.

Gaz

Engine hp at about 410 without meth. I really am not looking for noise cause the cops would pull me over for it. It could be a while or possibly never until I got an oem aftermarket upgrade and I definately don't want to put out cold cash and not get the full potential of the system (lower start setting.) I could have a system built to fit the car locally. Question is whether that is acceptable or should I stick with stock?

it sounds like your only option really is to get one manufactured.. theres nothing wrong with custom made exhausts as long as the company is well renowned!

Shamrock

I was running about 330/ 340 bhp on the standard pipe with no issue's but I realy would suggest my last Idea is not an option for you at your predicted bhp level. Have you fitted a hybrid Turbo to gain that power?

It sounds like a localy produced custom exhaust is the only way to go as you wont reach that Bhp easily with the Stock system as I do suspect far to much of a restriction for your set up!

Gaz

The cat back is not as restrictive as the downpipe/cat but with stage 3 tune it would be worthile getting a custom 3 inch, as there's a lot more gas going in that needs to get out, and with that level of tune all the small details make the difference.

Interesting you went with the GT28 they are a lot more laggy then the K04 and only perform better above 5.5k... But nice anyway where you from?