Appreciate some advice on door after smashed window...

powerplay

Grrrr
Reaction score
Well moving on from my incident with the stone through the window, I've now had Autoglass replace the glass.

However I'm not a happy bunny. Autoglass are unable to remove all the broken glass from inside the door. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Apparently the design of the door has a hollow tube at the bottom inside which there is some glass fragments and which the Autoglass guy had no tools suitable to remove them.

So now I have rattley glass in the door, which obviously has got to be sorted. Autoglass guy seemed to think the only way might be to take the door off!

So its back to Audi dealer again to seek advice.

Insco washed their hands of it, saying the glass was replaced and that's all they're prepared to stump up for; unremovable glass in the door would constitute a new claim, another £150 excess and affect my no-claims if I wanted to go down that route. Which I don't, and don't see why I should. I thought I was "covered" for glass damaged and that the car should be returned to the condition it was in before the incident!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

What's the best option, any idea?

****** hell that is bang out of order. I think that it should be returned as before the smashed glass.... You don't take a car to a bodyshop to get a dent taken out and then they give it back with the same dent in????
My pennies worth. h....

Tell the insurance company if it's not prepared to fund removal of all broken glass, you will make a formal complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

I had the same thing happen last week on my drive but the Autoglass guy couldn't do enough cleaning up. He really appreciated the fact that I'd already taken the door card off before he arrived and spent more time hoovering and cleaning than it took to repair the window, he even swept the driveway for me. However this was on a 97 A4 so the inside of the door is very easy to get to.
Yes I would definately pursue it with your insurance company. If you make enough fuss then they'll sort it out. Insurance is all a numbers game, if they can weasel out of 9/10 issues then it saves them a fortune as most people can't spare the time or the hassle of continually chasing them. But just call them everyday and make a real nuisance of yourself.
When I had all my decent power tools stolen in August, our friendly insurers tried everything in the book to stall and procrastinate over the claim even though they'd agreed to pay out on it. The number of receipts and proof of purchase we had to provide over & over again was unbelievable. In the end they sent us a cheque for half the stuff then agreed to replace the rest. Well it finally arrived 2 weeks ago (yes folks 4 months later) and they actually delivered everything including the stuff they'd already sent us the cheque for, plus the most expensive item (£600 DeWalt 18v combi kit) they sent us twice.
Well the spare one went straight on ebay, we're hanging on to the rest just in case they realise, but to be honest it's only really compensation for the amount of time & effort it's taken to get a resolution. We calculated about 40 hours of our time was taken up in total, so we're still effectively out of pocket.
"One call and we'll do the rest" my ****!

It it outrageous, I agree with the thought that the insurance should put you in the position you were in before the accident.

If you get no where with the complaints dept of the insurance company I'd suggest the Insurance Ombudsman, I think most policies refer to them in the back of the cover booklet.

Effectively the job isn't finished.

The insurance policy wording is a bit vague to be honest. It states what *is* covered and what is *not* covered, but nowhere does it mention the subject of broken glass.

In the meantime Audi dealer has examined the vehicle and advised that glass could be removed without removing the door (which is what autoglass said was required). They suggested it would be about an hours work and I'd be looking at around a hundred quid.

All because some little chav /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif put a stone through the window

Before you pay the stealer take it up with the insurance company. I really, really slated my last home insurance company when they sent me 4 letters saying I owed them money for a policy, I wrote them 2 letters saying 'f8ck off' I owe you nothing, there complaints team did write back confirmed I had canceled, that they has not followed process and included in the appology was a £10 voucher. I thought they where c**ts and now I can see that they made a mistake and sorted it...

6 months after the break in to my Sportback I still get the occassional little glass gem desposited on my driveway... the window replacement chappy spent ages vacuuming the door. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif