Apologies in advance...........

Kellerman

Reaction score
hi guys,

Just thought I'd run this problem by everyone here before I take my 1.8T to the dealers tomorrow, hopefully someone may have experienced the same thing. Normally my coolant temp settles at 90 after a few mins but the last couple of days it refuses to budge past 70. What's worse is that when I start to drive harder the temp falls down to 60.
Any ideas? If it helps the coolant level has dropped quite a bit over the last week. I guess I have a leak in the system?
Thanks in advance.

If the level is dropping it is very likely taht you've sprung a leak somewhere. Get tat fixed as soon as possible! (I once nearly blew an engine because all the coolant had leaded out).

If it is not a leak I would suspect the thermostat. That may aslo explain te dropping temp when you drive it harder. If the thermostat is always open, the coolant will be going through the radiator all the time. If you drive harder you will pump the coolant around faster and at the same time, beacuse of higher speed, more cold air passes the radiator which cools the coolant even more. This should also be fixe a.s.a.p. It should be a relatively simple repair.

What mileage have you done? I got my water pump done at 65k miles (at same time as cambelt, etc as it's cheaper on labour to get them all done at once).
Try AH Autos in Guildford - they're on Slyfield. 01483 303942 I think

http://www.motoruk.com/servguildford.html

Problem might be as simple as coolant sensor though, so get that checked first - I think they only cost 10 or 20 quid.