Ap, FK coilovers - pics

smurfworth

Reaction score
So, ive been searching for hours, weeks, on coilovers again.

I want the car lower than the H&R's currently give, and came to the conclusion that its between the FK sport edition plus and the cheaper of the two AP's, your opinions?

I want ride comfort more than anything which makes me sway towards the AP's

So what i ask, has anyone got any pics, after searching for hours, of their AP's wound all the way down?

Cheers

Last edited:
I don't have ap's. I went for the fk streets, and they aren't too harsh on the ride.
I have mine wound all the way down at the front. And a little higher at the back

cheers, had JOM's on my old one which is similar to the FK streets, trust me, they are harsh compared to others.

also looking at the FK highsports if the sport edition plus' are still discontinued.

any advice on them?

Not any advice on them sorry as the fk streets are the first set of coilovers I've had mate

to be fair my mate has fk streets on his focus and they seem a lot more harsh than mine, I must have been lucky to get soft ride springs lol.

I'd like the AP's really, but I'm struggling to find pics of them wound all the way down

ive got aps but not wound all the way day but not far of will take a pic

20130816 184325

I'd go with the AP's, great ride to say they go so low and had no problems with them making noises. Mine still have more thread left to go down on the front and only the adjuster thread in the back. The undertray has took a fair beating on ****ty Yorkshire roads. But the ride isn't harsh :D

looks good mate, thanks for that.

looks a similar height to my current H&R's though, not sure if thats because it looks as though your running a 35 sidewall

No probs :) Its probably because I'm running stretched tyres, they are a 40 sidewall though. Definitely lower than the HR springs as that's what I had on before I got the AP's.

Ah, that's a better photo. You've pretty much sold me on the AP's now. So they aren't dropped as low as they go on yours? What's the ride like compared to the H&R's?

mines starting to get rather bouncy. :/

This is mine on fk streets front down fully with 100mm left to go on the backImage

Reactions: Ironborn
Yea just sits funny sometimes with the stretched tyres, thinking of different wheels for next year! They ride about the same as the HRs before the standard shocks start to go. Still more to go down on the fronts yes....if only I could

ideal, just ordered some AP's from GNJ, Hope they ride aswell as the H&R's did, was getting a right bounce on on a flat road earlier.

The H&R's have only been on for 3k miles :/

Still, more lows here we go.

Thanks for your help chap, its probably too low to run the rears without the adjuster on 225 40 18's ET 45 right?

Good stuff! I'm sure you will be more than pleased with them. Hmmm had mine on about that and now there on my mates 8p with the same shocks and still going fine.....

More lows is always good! No probs, you would get abit of rubbing on the back with no adjusters on that offset and tyre. My old bbs reps were the same but I ended up cutting abit of the liner out on the inside :p

These were the 8J ET45 with 225 45 18. I take too many pictures....haha

Just had to take the screws out all round and trimmed the inside liner out as it rubbed on the tyres at the back.

Just had to take the screws out all round and trimmed the inside liner out as it rubbed on the tyres at the back.

aw excellent never thought of that, I'll need to do that before I lower mine a bit more.

Any pictures with the AP's fitted? I'm Thinking of ordering them! Got cheap JOM's atm, and would like some decent ones that handle rather than just looks! But want to keep it relatively low too! All the others don't seem to go as low! :(

Any pictures with the AP's fitted? I'm Thinking of ordering them! Got cheap JOM's atm, and would like some decent ones that handle rather than just looks! But want to keep it relatively low too! All the others don't seem to go as low! :(

The pic below is with AP's fitted. According to DPM's website the AP's go as low as JOMs do. I had JOMs on my old a3, as good as they are for lows, they bounce alot.

No probs :) Its probably because I'm running stretched tyres, they are a 40 sidewall though. Definitely lower than the HR springs as that's what I had on before I got the AP's.

Yea they bounce and aren't the best for spirited driving. Alot of movement especially as they get older/more worn!
Thanks for the pic! Think ill buy some!
Did you all replace top mounts too while fitting? And any other mounts/bushes?
Cheers

Yea they bounce and aren't the best for spirited driving. Alot of movement especially as they get older/more worn!
Thanks for the pic! Think ill buy some!
Did you all replace top mounts too while fitting? And any other mounts/bushes?
Cheers

These are great for handling too, very solid. Well my car was on 80k so decided to change all four top mounts which came to £150ish. May aswell while they are off. Got them fit and awesome gti, top job by them as usual!

do you have any pics of how you trimmed the arch liner at the back mate?

No pics mat but will try get some. Just trimmed the bit off that goes up the back quarter that sticks out when you fell under if you get me.....haha.

These are great for handling too, very solid. Well my car was on 80k so decided to change all four top mounts which came to £150ish. May aswell while they are off. Got them fit and awesome gti, top job by them as usual!

No pics mat but will try get some. Just trimmed the bit off that goes up the back quarter that sticks out when you fell under if you get me.....haha.

yea just the part that bubbles out at the edge of the wing really?

I think I know what you mean mate lol. Thanks for your help.

AP's all the way down, adjustors out in the rear. No rubbing, no arch issues.

The wheels are 18x8.5 with a 215/40 all around.

Sorry about the terrible photo angle!

swb1IKb.jpg

Last edited: