1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ap coilovers or ap shocks and springs... or just h&r springs???

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by JUS3IN, Jul 8, 2013.

1. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

hey all as the title really, want the car a bit lower but dont want to completely kill the ride. ive had some previous cars on fk coilovers and they rode very hard but i fitted tien springs on my imprexa sti and it was great!? any opinions? would like to get a bit of tuck on the top tyre edge, would just the 30/40 drop on the shocks and springs (and springs for that matter!) be enough? cars on 18's btw. any pics would be great.
  2. russwuss

russwuss Active Member

I have AP Suspension Kit.. installed for a couple of months now - so far so good! Got it for £290.

Do have slight camber issue on the rear wheels, however not enough to need adjusting 'according to tracking place'
  3. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

ah nice, is that a 30/40 drop? also any pics?
  4. russwuss

russwuss Active Member

5. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

cheers mate thats sitting nicely, hating rolling on stock suspension, first time in years!-) just read your suspension thread, ive done it on other cars so should be straight forward but the adjustable rear tie arms got me a bit scared... they cost as much as the darn suspension, may look for a kit that includes them like tuffy said, or was that shorter front drop link doh... already got a toyosport intercooler and remap on the cards in the next month, like to hit it all in a few weekends really.
  6. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

7. russwuss

russwuss Active Member

no problem.. very happy with the kit so far :) but my stock suspension was completely knackered - front dampers no rebound with half a spring on the drivers side and the rears wasn't much better - difference between night and day. Everything else on mine I kept standard - plan to replace the bushes all way round once funds allow - intercooler is next on my list to! Once mine is finally fixed I'll take a couple of pics of the rears to show the camber - rear tie bars did worry me, searched for a while to try and find the cheapest (megan racing was the cheapest online, however now I've read S3Dave on here makes them?) then after fitting I really didn't think the car needed them, probably done 3K miles now and no signs of uneven wear on Goodyear F1.
  8. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

nice one cheers dude...
  9. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

I have AP coilovers. Mid level at about 500 quid, and ride well, good quality, and the adjustability is nice to have
  10. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

You say they ride ok, how do they soak up the bumps? Does it feel like interiors gonna get rattled out? Must be getting old as I want it low but comfy lol!-)
  11. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

To get the perfect stance I'd say go for the AP coilovers.

Damian @ DPM Performance
    kwistof and JUS3IN like this.
  12. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

my car is fully poly bushed, AP coil overs, lcr top mounts, rear arb, and it doesnt rattle the interior out. IMO its perfect.
    kwistof likes this.
  13. s3clarke

s3clarke Money grabbing s3!

mine runs ap coilovers some poly bushes and mine rides sweet.
  14. JUS3IN

JUS3IN silver sleeper

cheers all, im leaning towards the coilovers again now, can we get some pics up? also any guys with just springs wanna chime in?
  15. anilkumar

anilkumar Member

i have also got ap 30/40 shocks and springs on my a3 TDI had them on for about a week very good indeed car drives so much better
  16. Sandip

Sandip Well-Known Member

AP coilovers would be perfect for you in my opinion, the ride doesn't change very much, i actually found it better than my spring and damper set up
    s3.jpg
  17. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

This is what I did around a couple of years ago from Damian.....I purchased quiet a few other things as well and he did a nice deal on it all :thumbsup:

Seems as though SK and I have nearly the same set up- APs were set to around mid range height, fully poly bushed (powerflex) all round, LCR top mounts, R32 RARB.

You can see the pic in my avatar on how she sits now....I will be going about 10mm lower once I have got some adjustable tie arms as I don't want to ruin the camber as I think I'm on the limit for the OEM tie arms.

Didn't rattle the interior out either (until I got my engine mounts polybushed very recently! lol)