Anyone went from MK5 GTI/B7 A4 to S3?

Sean_

Reaction score
As the title, I'm interested to see if any owners have went from a 200bhp MK5 GTI or B7 A4 Quattro to an 8p S3? I've owned a GTI and then moved onto the B7 which I still love but looking down the line at a facelift S3, I was thinking about a sportback too as I like having 5 doors and I really like the shape.

Just looking to see what they thought of the jump and any pro's & con's about owning and running one. Have a fairly specific list which I'd be looking for so would be waiting for the right one to come up. I've been tempted by a MK6 R as well, but I think I'll be going with an S3 as I love Audi build quality.

I can sort of help in that we own a TT with the 197 BHP engine in the fwd format and an S3.
The TT has the Mk5 GTI engine.
Engine pick up is quite different in that the TT seems nippy as it picks up well from 1800 rpm but then runs out of puff towards the top end. The S3 does not start to get going until about 2500 rpm but then it goes very well all the way to the redline.
With the TT/GTI, put your foot down in the lower gears will often result in lack of traction. We had it remapped but then removed it again as there was no point having the extra power on anything other than a perfectly dry road. On the other hand the S3 just grips.
Interior wise, the Mk 5 Golf was a step back from the Mk 4. I wanted to buy a Mk 5 R32 but was put off by the cheaper plastics.
The interior of the S3 is a very nice place to be.
Servicing wise, much the same but I think that Audi has too many people standing around which we are paying for. I do not need to be greeted at the door and walked across to a bank of receptionists. There seems to be a little less of that at VW.
Parts wise, I often use the local VW dealer as they give a better discount than Audi or you can use the parts request on this site.
The Mk 6R cars hold their price well as they are quite rare. Consequently, finding a minter is more difficult. Lots more S3s to choose from but again you need to choose carefully as there are some rough examples out there.

Had a MK5 R32 a few years ago. The S3 is better slightly. Just feels more solid. The wife thinks it drives a lot smother but for me the running costs are more or less half. But it was a V6 unlike the GTI

S3 is a different beast to a gti imo.

The extra weight from the haldex/rear diff makes the car feel planted - similar to a Bmw. Mk5 gti is a very good car, but its spin city unless bone dry.

I had a Mk 5 GT tsi remapped to 210bhp. September I bought an 09 S3 black edition s-Tronic. Absolutely love the S3 takes my breath away and totally feels another level to the GT.

Just sold my Gti Edition 30 to come back to an S3.

Both 2007 but Ed30 was DSG.

I liked the Ed30 was stage one 311bhp BUT was totally pointless. Couldn't put the power down at all. Wheel spin after wheel spin. But as for driving wise obv the DSG was good for lazy driving etc but the S3 is a more solid better built car.

Don't Get Bose or any upgrade sounds in Mk5. Seats where comfy due to the half leather half tartan pattern but being 100% honest I would choose the S3 all day.

Also have An A4 S line 2009 facelift model and it's a horrible car to drive and is going back to the garage for a refund. Can't say anything good bar the 40mpg out of the 2.0tdi other than that it's pants!

Reactions: kash_v