1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone want a decat?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by B5NUT, May 29, 2010.

1. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[May 29, 2010]
    When I put my 1.8T through it's MOT early this year, it just about passed the emissions and the tester had to run the engine for a good 10 minutes before the emissions where low enough for it to scrape through. I also checked the MOT history on the car and it's failed the last few MOT's on emissions, but passed the retest (Somehow)!

So the cat & manifold was replaced today. I managed to get a new cat genuine cat from ebay for just over £100 and I got a manifold for £15. One thing to note was the manifold was from a B6 1.8T & the cat had a part number which indicates it was only for a quattro version of the 1.8T. However both fitted perfectly without any modifications required.

When I ripped off the old cat I found a completely empty cat, the dam thing had been through a decat, so if anyone want a free decat, cat! then then send me a PM, the only cost would be the postage. However you may find it difficult to pass the emission tests in the future.:banghead:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. evilbow

evilbow Member

[May 29, 2010]
    Just bought the downpipe and cat from cats to u on ebay too £100 delivered excellent value considering local tyre exhaust fitters up here wanted £340 fitted for it!! Manage to get a centre section and back box also for it on ebay for £100 delivered from Germany, so front cat middle and back box all cost £200 delivered to ma front door, then I got same company who quoted £340 for front & cat to fit them for me for £100 :beee::yahoo:
  4. B5NUT

[May 29, 2010]
    I had already replaced the downpipe, got one from a VW dealers in Leeds, as the flexi section had almost completely failed. Would be interested to see how long aftermarket system lasts as you can easy get over 100K miles & 12 years from an OEM system.
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[May 30, 2010]
    My cat was the same lol.

I suspect when they get old they get blocked up, and someone just whips them off and knocks the guts out as a "get me by" quick fix.

The bolts on mine suggested it had been on there like that for a LONG time, yet had "passed" numerous MOT's perfectly fine.
  6. B5NUT

[May 30, 2010]
    Finished the job off this morning, and the whistling noise & exhaust blowing noise have gone, so I've now got a nice quiet motor as the whistling noise was driving me mad....

I think the my cat had been gutted about 4 years ago as that was when I noticed the emissions were first listed as a failure on the MOT history web site.
  7. Geeman

Geeman Low Life

[Jun 1, 2010]
    Go on then... I'll take it off your hands.

Let me know how much the postage will be.

Cheers,

Giles
  8. B5NUT

[Jun 1, 2010]
    Wish you had posted that this early morning, it went to the dump with the manifold at 10am this morning... sorry:crying:
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010