Anyone using Conti's?

mattyboyc

B6 Veteran now Q5 owner
Reaction score
well the time has come again to change the front tyres on the old B6, I have always had Michelin before but am being pushed a little towards the Continental sport contact 5, I've been quite impressed with the Michelin's my only complaint being they seem to take a while to warm up.
So is anyone using the Conti's? If so how do you rate them on milliage, noise, grip ect.
1.9 tdi fwd.

Just put a full set of CS5s on my 2.5QS, can't speak for longevity yet but the CS3s that it had on the front when I bought it were fitted in 2011 and probably covered in excess of 20k miles.

The CS5s are a lot quieter, though the old tyres on the rear were budget ditch-finders and quite noisy. Grip-wise the CS5s are a world away, the old CS3s were not bad on the front, even when worn nearly to the canvas, but the rear budgets were awful - spent most of my time going round roundabouts sideways, and no - I don't often drive like a loon!

Used to have Michelins on my old B5, they were a nice tyre but as that was only 90bhp and FWD it's not really a fair comparison.

Frank

Reactions: mattyboyc
After a long conversation with my tyre place they have also suggested Pirelli p zero's so again any experiences with these woukd be Greatfuly recieved,
Thanks
Matt

My experiance of Pirelli is that they grip well, but are noisy and don't last very long.

I'm a big fan of contis they're my first choice for tyres, I've had cs2's in the past, and I'm currently on cs3's at the moment. I'm yet to run the cs5 so can't really comment on them though sorry.

Conti CSC5 or Goodyear EagleF1 Asy2 would be my top two choices.

I run the Goodyears because they're usually a bit cheaper.

They also last well, got close to 25k out of the set on my B5 Quattro.

I have run Pirelli's for years. Currently running P-Zero's all round on the A6, bought two new ones only last week, £127 each for 235/40 R18.

Continental are very good though, I think their price has dropped a bit over the last few years which makes them comparable, not long ago they were £180+ each for the above size!

I have been quoted just over £120 for the Conti's and about the same for the pirelli's, my only concern with the Pirelli is low miliage compared to the conti, I won't run Michelin again, been reading lots of reviews and the Goodyear f1 seems to score well.

with Tires, you get what you pay for,

Conti's are great grippers, low noise and less miles,
michie's are great grippers when warmed up, slightly more noise, great miles,
Bridgstones are great when warmed up, same noise as michies and also great miles,

I personally go with Micheline's and i normally spend about £140 on one tire, I pay that as i feel that mine and my familys life's are worth the best tires that money can buy, I learned that the hard way once buy putting budget tires on a RS Turbo costing me £3k when i planted it into the rear of another car on 3rd party insurance only !

I can't really comment on much here. I will say though that the CS3's I got with my alloys about 6+ months ago have been the best tyres I've probably had. They have never let me down in both the dry & wet and they give me great confidence in the cars cornering ability. I used to buy yokohamas for my old fiesta which would grip until no tomorrow, although they wore down very, very quickly!

I'm going to fit the Pirelli's, I've never run them before but am always willing to try something new. Oooh err ;)