1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone used one of these reverse cameras ?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by willz17, Jan 14, 2014.

1. willz17

willz17 Member

[Jan 14, 2014]
    Hello guys,

sorry if this had been asked before, but has anyone used one of these? Reversing Camera for Audi A4 (B6 + B7, 2001-2008) + Audi A3 (8P, 2004-2012) NEW | eBay
    They look fairly OEM and I got a pioneer double din headunit. Originally was going to buy pioneers reverse camera but they seem huge! I want something quite subtle and hidden and this item on eBay looks the part.

What do people think?
    and how hard do you think the fitting is?

Any information is appreciated
    Thanks
    Wil
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. Av4nt

Av4nt Well-Known Member

[Jan 14, 2014]
    Do you have to have an RNS-E or other head unit to run this type of camera? I really want one but dont have a screen anywhere. are there small screens to buy alongside to rig it up? I wonder ghow ahrd it is to fit also
  4. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[Jan 14, 2014]
    I had a similar camera to that one that replaced the number plate light! The bulb colour\brightness didn't match the other side & they tend to overheat! I removed it & spent a bit more to buy one that fits in the boot release. It's more central, looks factory & works well.

Edit: this one >>>http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/251123409975

BTW: I have a Pioneer HU too.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  5. willz17

willz17 Member

[Jan 14, 2014]
    Thanks for the link mate :)
    I might end up buying this one, how hard is it to get the wires from the front to the back? I take it you went through the headlining?
    Thanks

Will
  6. Cruiser89

Cruiser89 Advanced In Car Tech Site Sponsor

[Jan 14, 2014]
    Looks quite cheap if I'm honest...

I had a quick scout through and there is no tech spec on the camera and what lens is fitted. Surely you would want to know this?

Most of the time these cameras usually have the same crappy components and end up dying or burning out.

Ash on here went through a couple of aftermarket cameras until he got fed up and made his own...

I would say, find out some more info before you commit.
  7. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[Jan 14, 2014]
    I fed it through the headlining to the A pillar using one of those CB radio flexi aerials. That was over a year ago I think & it still works great. It has good resolution & the night vision is a bonus.

Be warned though, if you use the reverse light feed to power it, you'll need to add a suppressor to the power line to clean up the signal or it'll flicker with the engine running.

If you think you'll have problems or don't want to risk damaging something, there's always Cruiser & others that can do a professional retrofit for you.
  8. willz17

willz17 Member

[Jan 14, 2014]
    Thanks for the information,
    I would love to have a retrofit job but depends on how much its going to be :) my money tree is almost dead lol