anyone retro-fitted air-con?

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
was thinking about doing it but it appears to be a MAJOR job! has anyone done it and if so how hard was it/what was the total cost?

I wouldn't even consider it, that is probably the biggest retrofit job possible!
Easier to swap cars I'm afraid.

it is a major job. I have fitted the control panel and associated parts (centre console, housing etc) inside the car including all the wiring. I still have to fit the aircon side of it! I do have the rest of the parts apart from a pipe still to get, once I get that it will be ready to be checked and gassed (in time for summer!). Cost is hard to say, i got most parts off of ebay and breakers. Must be about the £500 mark by now. Probably better if you got it off one car all at the same time - I got the whole airbox including motors and evaporator for £27 of ebay and then spent £30+ on the sunlight penetration sensor!

I did it as much for the challenge - nobody else had done it and most said it would be too expensive too, but its the same price as a remap. When it gets a bit warmer I will be fitting the pipes,compressor and condensor.

its the sensor in the middle of the top of the dashboard between the two vents that blow air onto the windscreen. I'm lucky as I have all the wiring diagrams and somebody to gas the system for me.

[ QUOTE ]
what does the sunlight penetration sensor do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tells the CC wether it's daytime or night time, and adjusts the temps to suit.

*note* wire it in BEFORE putting the dash back together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wondered what that nipple thing was between the airvents, thanks khufu!